H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-24-2003, 05:22 PM

Michael James is off the scale

Can the H2 tow a 9,000 lb. boat?

Doesn't look like it but has anyone found a way of doing this??
Old 02-24-2003, 05:22 PM

Can the H2 tow a 9,000 lb. boat?

Doesn't look like it but has anyone found a way of doing this??
Old 02-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My Boat Weighs 5050#. Even in tow/haul, the H2 is working hard (all the time). It is only rated to tow 7000#, and I wouldn't even consider towing anything over 4000#, and that is probably pushing it.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

The official limit is 7000#. But I have talked to some who have hauled 9000# trailer plus boat. They said it was not be a problem IF:
(1) you are not planning to encounter steep grades.
(2) You have a drop down hitch that provides a level trailer and can handle the pull loads.
(3) You properly manage your tongue weight.

This is not my personal experience, just here-say. Exceed the OEM recommended limits at your own risk.

Jim
Red H2
Old 02-24-2003, 07:18 PM

Tiger Bait is off the scale

I agree with Jim in the points he made, but would strongly discourage you from doing it. The part I would worry about isn't pulling, but stopping almost 16,000 lbs ((6400+9000)+ anything including you inside the H2). moving at any speed much less 70 mph.
I'm sure the engine has the power to get that mass going, but the brakes having enough stopping power I'm sure will be quite another matter.
Oh, btw if you have an accident overloaded, kiss any insurance coverage goodbye.

Bottom line is that if your load is that big, please, for your own safety and others; get a different truck. You will be much safer and live longer.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Hummer Authority

Any boat as large as these have to have trailer or surge brakes on tandum or triple axle. they work very well.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:07 PM

Tiger Bait is off the scale

Yes, I know and understand that fact. My 3000# trailer has them. They certainly do help. More of a concern I have is that they generally aren't as sophisticated as vehicle brakes (ABS etc.)and in a panic stop might just lock up and push the H2 toward doom. If they are hydraulic and tap into the H2 system, tolerances for system pressure may get exceeded and cause total system failure.

All in all just a bad idea, yet people do it all the time, I know.

If you guys are on the road, let me know, I'll stay home.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:14 PM

TERMINATOR is off the scale

All points above are valid. I towed a 28 ft. enclosed trailer 2000 miles 2 weeks ago. It was a total weight of probably 9000 lbs. I had a hitch that gave a proper trailer ride height. We loaded the car in the trailer towards the rear to lessen tounge weight.

I have to say that the H2 tows very stable. I was guessing I would have to run at 60-65. But once underway, I had confidence to cruise at 70-75. Downhill grades were 80. As someone said, great care needs to be taken in stopping any tow rig. But I dont see why an H2 would take any longer to slow down than my 7500 lb Excursion. Which by the way, the H2 is more stable towing than the Excursion. The BIG downside is fuel econ. I got 6.5 mpg towing. And with gas running close to 2 bucks a gal. its not very economical to do much long distance towing. But add another trick the the H2 long list of skills - it tows extremely well!

T
Old 02-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

BIGT is off the scale

Big Z,

I have a 2001 Baja 342 with twin 502's. I have towed it several times without any problems. It sits on a tripple axle trailer with surge brakes. It is a custom trailer, so the boat is balanced. I also have the air ride with the load leveling that keeps the trailer level. I also have a 2500 SD Chevy pick-up and they tow about the same. I don't see the difference in the Chevy having a larger towing capacity. the vehicles weight is close to the same. Boat and trailer are pushing around 10,000# +. With trailer brakes, it actually pulls the H2 to a stop. I bought my H2 to use it.

Food for thought.

Big T
Old 02-25-2003, 01:42 AM
Hummer Authority

Oh, I agree with you on the ability to tow! And the stopping ability with surge brakes--gotta have it!!!-- . My point is the strain on the drive train, (mostly engine) Engine winding out, and (tow/haul/On) staying/maintining higher rpm and Lower gear. The Gross Combined, or Power to weight Ratio is taxing on the 6.0 liter, She's Hav'n To Work!, IMHO. I to bought it to use, and do so. But, compairing it to Our 02 silverado, 8.1 w/Allison, for towing--It's not even in the same class!--My prior Rigs (tow/work) were All duallys, 98 GMC 6.5 detroit, 01 Dodge Cummins 24v, And 01 GMC Duramax.
Terminator, hit the nail head, MPG Towing. The H2 wasn't (this year anyway) designed to do Heavy Towing. Although it does tow well, It works Hard Doing It! Again, IMHO

Last edited by Big Z : 02-16-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Hummer Authority

Work'n!

Last edited by Big Z : 02-16-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Another Hauler

Last edited by Big Z : 02-16-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:52 AM

The longest trip I would be making is 5 hours... does that make a difference? what type of trailer would be best to take off the strain?

I also have purchased one of the H2 reprogrammers that has an option for tow mode.. any thoughts here?
Old 02-25-2003, 12:36 PM
Hummer Authority

"purchased one of the H2 reprogrammers that has an option for tow mode"
I'm not sure what you mean here, unless your reprogramming the tow Hual mode (basically shift points) in your H2.

"The longest trip I would be making is 5 hours... does that make a difference? what type of trailer would be best to take off the strain?"

Flat and level, you will probably be fine, hilly terrain, watch the Temp guages. As far as the trailer--What did it come with? Triple axle, with surge or electric brakes? balanced for correct tongue weight? What ever it is, the loaded trailer Needs to be able to stop it's own mass.

Exceeding your vehicles tow rating, isn't a good Idea, there are reasons for them, plus the Risk and liability is just to high. (in my opnion).

It's A matter Safety, and the Right Rig for the Job.

In the top pic, I was pulling out of a truck scale. Knowing your numbers Is a must! Guess work be gone!
Old 02-25-2003, 12:58 PM

ere are the details of the programmer...

Power Programmer

The ProFlash is a powerful tuning tool that allows you to set the level of tuning that you want. This is done using separate engine and transmission files for your Hummer, allowing you to change to the mode that you want to run. The octane level and ping control can adjust for fuel quality in different areas of the country and different altitudes. The ProFlash can also correct for altered tire size and for ring and pinion changes. The speed limiter can be set to stock, 130 MPH, and unlimited.

The ProFlash will adjust the following items on your H2 Hummer

correct speedometer for changes in tire height and rear axle ratio
reduces or removes torque management on H2 Hummer
Engine tuning (economy, towing, performance)
Shift Firmness (economy, towing, performance)
Shift points (economy, towing, performance)
Ping control (Sets timing +/- 5%)
Octane level (87, 89, 92)
Speed limiter
Tire Height
Old 02-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Hummer Authority

I will be checking into one of these!! Although My rig is running fine, A Little More Tweakage Wouldn't Hurt! Have you used it yet? Any results?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 AM

Attila35 is off the scale

Towing:

is the limit 6700 or 7000 for insurance purposes?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Hummer Professional

Harley is off the scale

I dunno... the wife went to Wyoming last winter and pulled around 8500# worth of UHaul back to OK.... other than 8-9mpg... and a Kansas Trooper pulling over a blonde in a Hummer... it did just what it was supposed to do...

K
Old 07-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with BigZ here. Don't exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. However, now that I got that little disclaimer out of the way, I'd make absolutely sure that it was loaded appropriately. Load the rig and then make a trip around the block and down the highway. If you aren't sure about it, don't do it. Make sure to fill it with fuel and water after you get closer to your destination (cuts down on weight).
I pull a 4000# trailer on long trips to Idaho , and I'll tell you, it takes every pony to keep it moving. The terrain around here is uneven and steep, especially in Western Oregon. Keeping highway speed is difficult. Don't plan on being in a hurry. Also, with a tandem axel(or triple axel at 9000#) boat trailer the surge brakes should work great, and the H2 has 4 wheel disk brakes that work great with stock size tires/wheels. I've noticed, in hot summer months, the transmission gets very hot, and it shifts into 2nd gear (incessantly) getting up hills. One other thing about towing with a Hummer, it will learn your driving habits on long trips, and it does help.(a little) The programmer is a nice doo-dad, and I'm thinking of picking one up as well.
It feels more stable than an Excursion, if you can believe it, but it definitely lacks the power. However, what the H2 lacks in power, it makes up for in GOOD LOOKS.
Do you have air suspension? This would be the most valuable asset to towing that load with your rig.

Anyway, these are my experiences with my Hummer, and I hope they help you with your trip. To be perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't do that with an H2. I'd use my Ford. To all you GM lovers out there, I just had to drop the F bomb.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

HeimenHummer is off the scale

I towed a trailer with about 12,000lbs of stepping stones to my sister's house which was a 20 mile travel. The guys at the quarry laughed because I was loading alongside dump trucks and big gravel trucks. They actually gave me the thumbs up when they realized I made it effortlessly up the 100 yard hill exit. The trip there was uneventful but alot of impressed looks.

I found out about max tow just now.