H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-23-2006, 03:21 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default A/c complete system failure

Halfway across Texas in 97 degree heat we lost the A/C. Started working hard and not cooling well. Over about an hour got worse. Stopped to get gas and could hear a clicking coming from the compressor while the compressor was engaged. The compressor stayed engaged the whole time as the system could never keep up.

About 20 miles after the fuel stop the air was borderline warm and then a few minutes later there was a small pop and about 10 seconds of hissing followed by refrigerant smell. The hissing was definitely coming from the engine bay and not the PS footwell.

After getting the family to the hotel sans the A/C for another 100 or so miles I inspected things and the PS front fenderwell is covered in fluid. All of the PS suspension components was coated in fluid. Some fluid was present further back on the torsion bar, a little on the side of the frame just forward of the A-arms, etc. The whole of wheel-well liner was coated probably due to spray getting to the tire and then transferring.

No noticeable breaks in the A/C lines, Drier, but there was fluid on the very bottom of the compressor at what looks like a seal just aft of the clutch assembly. Appearing as though a gasket on the compressor let go.

I know nothing about HVAC and am attempting to describe the best I can. Not even sure there is a gasket or place that can "give" on the compressor. Just what it appears.

We are trying to get out of here by noon so we can get to K-rocks with the rest of the group, but we need A/C.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A/c complete system failure

Old 06-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Blame the wife.

How did the children hold up under the heat?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Banned

Mrs.ssippi is an unknown quantity at this point

He said the A/C broke NOT the DVD player ! They did not even know what the deal was they thought it was fun riding with the windows down. That is something we NEVER do, it's always too hot down here! Wish us luck or even better some little A/C Hummer fairies that will fly down from the sky and fix it overnite!!!!!!!! ie. Adam can you fly into WACO and handle this for me? Does that face make you feel sorry for us? Oh well I guess not!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

That really sucks guys! . Believe me I know. The first time we discovered the dealer tinkered with the backward valve (per stupid-unasked-shouldda-left-alone-bulletin) was in Vegas at 110degree . Fan was ok, but blowing warm air the entire time.

Get one of those disposable styro cooler from a supermarket, fill with ice and plenty of bottled-water.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

Yikes that sucks....here i was today envying yall for getting to wheel K-rocks. Although im no help im am sorry tohear about this--i would think it would be tough to wheel with the kids with no ac. lol, I dont think the Jeepers would have any sympathy for you though. Hope yall get it worked out.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.ssippi
He said the A/C broke NOT the DVD player ! They did not even know what the deal was they thought it was fun riding with the windows down. That is something we NEVER do, it's always too hot down here! Wish us luck or even better some little A/C Hummer fairies that will fly down from the sky and fix it overnite!!!!!!!! ie. Adam can you fly into WACO and handle this for me? Does that face make you feel sorry for us? Oh well I guess not!
If you didn't have so much crap on the floor blocking the recirc the a/c wouldn't have gone out. It's all your fault.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2 Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope this helps you to understand what happened: When the system starts leaking as you know the system will not cool effectively. On the low side there is a pressure sensor on most vehicles and on most vehicles it runs about 40psi. When the pressure drops to around say 25-30 psi the switch cuts power to the compressor. It may also be noted that some vehicles have the switch on the high side but it acts in the same manner for safety. When the compressor stops pressure begins to equalize. The sensor detects the increase in low side pressure and the cycle starts again. The less freon you have the switch will turn on/off/on/off to a point where the ac will not work at all. From what you indicated you probally started loosing freon at an early point (the on/off situation) and eventually the compressor overheated and let go. Hope you get up and running again!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Adding to Ranger's message:
System will shut down if:
The A/C high side line pressure is over 429 psi,
The A/C low side line pressure is under 20-25 psi.

Your thought on the compressor blowing a seal sounds correct due to the thin oil coating the inside of the engine compartment. The entire A/C system contains a maximum of 7.1 ounces of polyalkylene glycol (commonly known as PAG oil) for internal lubrication of moving parts and seals. Could be a seal in a line connection, but the discharge and suction hoses are at the rear of the compressor, and if the oil is under the compressor where the clutch meets up to the compressor's body, it sounds like the seal blew.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

coming off the compressor rubber part of the hose completely separated from teh metal elbow that attaches directly to the compressor. Orifice tube was full of junk.

Having to pay $650 for a $400 compressor. $1200 total and still don't know if the dryer is OK or not but can't find one anywhere in town.

Having to have the hose custom made because can't find one of those here.

Still hoping to make F'berg by 5:00pm
Old 06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Hummer Messiah

That blows hot air. Hope it's fixed soon and the drier is ok.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Well?....
Old 06-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
coming off the compressor rubber part of the hose completely separated from teh metal elbow that attaches directly to the compressor. Orifice tube was full of junk.

Having to pay $650 for a $400 compressor. $1200 total and still don't know if the dryer is OK or not but can't find one anywhere in town.

Having to have the hose custom made because can't find one of those here.

Still hoping to make F'berg by 5:00pm

Dryer needs to be replaced. If you open the A/C charge system, the dryer is automatically replaced.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5