H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Photos of YOUR H2

Old 10-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here they are. I have no idea about cfm but they sure are a lot more sturdy looking then the Flex-a-lites that were there. They cover more of the radiator than the flex-a-lites did so hopefully next summer my over heating issue will be solved. Time will tell.

Taz thanks for all of your help.

I can't speak highly enough about Allen at Nelson Performance.com a great guy to work with, willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Hummer Deity

Well here they are. I have no idea about cfm but they sure are a lot more sturdy looking then the Flex-a-lites that were there. They cover more of the radiator than the flex-a-lites did so hopefully next summer my over heating issue will be solved. Time will tell.

Taz thanks for all of your help.

I can't speak highly enough about Allen at Nelson Performance.com a great guy to work with, willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the total cost, if you don't mind my asking.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Hummer Deity

FREE!
Covered under warranty.

Since the dealership has done all of the work that has been done to my H2. They installed the flex-a-lite fans and they weren't working or getting the job done so the dealership covered this entire thing under warranty. I know they have several other normal non super charged H2 that are also having over heating issues. So I'm being used as a test subject. It just sucks that it took 8 weeks to get to this point.

I know the wiring harness they used from Nelson Performance was $90.00.

I know this only because I called Allen at Nelson Performance in my efforts to find a solution to my over heating problem. The dealership was just sitting on my truck they hadn't done anything with it for 6 weeks. Once I got them talking to Nelson it took another two weeks of sending out pcm's (which they f*** up) by sending out a generic unit for programming not thinking about the fact that I have a super charger and there would be not program to run it, so they had to send out my pcm and that took additional time.

Anyway there is a long post "dealership problem" on the forum where I bitched about my problems.

You could probably get a price for the fans at GM price guide or isn't there a GMParts guy here on the forum?

The truck is now running at around 200 (210) was its normal operating temp. We'll see what happens next summer when the air temps get to 120. For now I'm simply happy that I'll be able to go to Moab and have a fun trip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:
What was the total cost, if you don't mind my asking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Congrats Fubar
As best i can tell from Pics it looks like they did a good job and did it correctly. My eyes are not great but, if You would like to send Me some more detailed pics blown up more in size I will be glad to look the install over real close for you. You know how to get into touch.
Did they get the T-stat wire hooked into the harness at the H2 computer and set Your turn on and off temp?
Well i really feel Your trouble will be over now.
With My setup I have to make 6 WOT runs during tuning without rest in between, to get the rad temp to go to 200 degrees. I'm taking hard runs with no metanol or CO2 spray.
Let Me know if I can help with checking the Pics closer.

Fubar You are right on Allen. Is He not the most accomedating guy You have dealt with. He is just a great guy and I would encourage anyone to ask for help from Him. He is a small shop but, You would not know it by the amount of work He turns out. He does most everything Himself so He makes sure it is done right. He has onw helper and His wife cracks the whip I think.
Well again congrats Fubar!!!!!!!!!!!
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Hummer Deity

Taz thanks,
No they did not change the T-stat.

They are standing firm to there belief or story that it will make the truck run too lean. I'm guessing that the reason for there stubborn behavior is that they have no way of programming the cpu if there is any truth there story.

The truck now runs normal at 195 maybe 200 the needle is just below the 210 mark by the with of the needle.

I did some wide open passing of cars on an uphill grade and the temp did climb to just over 210. It stayed there until I got to the top of the grade then returned to just below the 210 mark. I have no doubt that changing the t-stat will help. I just need to find some in this god forsaken town who can reprogram the cpu.

Maybe when the trans get bad enough and I'll take it to Chatsworth to the LAPD (Los Angeles Performance Division)to have it rebuilt. I'll have them change the t-stat and do any necessary custom tuning.

I'll send you a larger version of a couple of those images later today maybe tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
Congrats Fubar
As best i can tell from Pics it looks like they did a good job and did it correctly. My eyes are not great but, if You would like to send Me some more detailed pics blown up more in size I will be glad to look the install over real close for you. You know how to get into touch.
Did they get the T-stat wire hooked into the harness at the H2 computer and set Your turn on and off temp?
Well i really feel Your trouble will be over now.
With My setup I have to make 6 WOT runs during tuning without rest in between, to get the rad temp to go to 200 degrees. I'm taking hard runs with no metanol or CO2 spray.
Let Me know if I can help with checking the Pics closer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Hummer Deity

quote: Did they get the T-stat wire hooked into the harness at the H2 computer and set Your turn on and off temp?

Taz yes I believe so the fans do not turn on when the motor is first started unless the AC is on and then only one of them comes on. So I hope they have it hooked up correctly. Maybe after Moab I need to head East instead of back home and come visit you?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Fubar the fan sounds programmed correctly. Unless they just hooked it to the ac switch and then the fan will get power as long as A/C is on. If You turn off A/C and just let it idle and if fan does not come on ever then it is not hooked or programmed to turn on and off at correct temp.
I'm waiting for My new software from HPTUNERS so I have My fans running only when ac is turned on. Once the software gets here I will tune it to come of and on at temps without A/C. If weather is nice and moving 25 MPH or more i turn A/C off and let air from forward movement do the cooling. You just have to remember to turn A/C on.

Fubar You can only do what dealer wants but one of the best examples of putting the 160 drgree t-stat on is Ligenfelter. They do it on every ride. My normal temp run just in 100 degrees not pulling hard is usually 180 degrees. I think at some point You will need t-stat. but, with cool weather coming play their game a while.

Fubar also if You want to come My way go ahead and caravan with KenP and PARAGON.
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 10-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Hummer Deity

Caravaning with Ken and Paragon, that can be arranged but will you have the necessary computer program to do what ever adjustments need to be made by the week of Oct. 17th?

Do me a favor and shoot me an e-mail or PM with your phone number that way once I leave here tomorrow or Saturday I'll be able to get a hold of you.

thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
Fubar the fan sounds programmed correctly. Unless they just hooked it to the ac switch and then the fan will get power as long as A/C is on. If You turn off A/C and just let it idle and if fan does not come on ever then it is not hooked or programmed to turn on and off at correct temp.
I'm waiting for My new software from HPTUNERS so I have My fans running only when ac is turned on. Once the software gets here I will tune it to come of and on at temps without A/C. If weather is nice and moving 25 MPH or more i turn A/C off and let air from forward movement do the cooling. You just have to remember to turn A/C on.

Fubar You can only do what dealer wants but one of the best examples of putting the 160 drgree t-stat on is Ligenfelter. They do it on every ride. My normal temp run just in 100 degrees not pulling hard is usually 180 degrees. I think at some point You will need t-stat. but, with cool weather coming play their game a while.

Fubar also if You want to come My way go ahead and caravan with KenP and PARAGON. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Hummer Deity

Taz,
I'll call Allen at Nelson Performance tomorrow and ask what programming he put into my cpu. It would still be nice to have your number so that we can talk once I'm on my way to Moab.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Hummer Deity

Ok, went out to the garage, opened the door and started the truck. Lifted the hood to be able to watch the fans although they are loud enough to hear with it closed.

The motor is running the ac is on and the fans (both are running) I turned off the ac and both fans stopped, so I let it idel. It reached operating temp (just below 210)a couple of minutes later both fans kick on so I let it run and a couple minutes later both fans cycled off. So I'm going to assume that the fans are set or programmed to come on at or around 200. The stock thermostat is 195 or 200 isn't it?

So it would appear that the fans are programmed to cycle on and off without the ac being turned on. That's good right?

If I change the t-stat I'm going to need someone to reprogram the cpu to turn the fans on at the proper temp..

Fubar also if You want to come My way go ahead and caravan with KenP and PARAGON. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

Ok,I will bite...what does the thermostat change have to do with the fan programs? The stat opens at a predetermined temp,usually full warm up,then the ECM shuts off the choke program(rich). So,if the stat opens at 170,and this is "closed loop",then the truck should not need the fans until the temp runs up to whatever temp the ECM has the fans programed for(200?). No heat,no fans. A seperate device from the mechanical stat.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Hummer Deity

Just got a call from the dealership where my truck has been for the last two weeks, again.

They are installing the 160 t-stat today and asked if I was using synthetic oils in the trans, motor and difs? I calmly said to the service writer you all have done every bit of work that has been done to this truck you tell me if I'm running synthetic oil...

I know I'm not but the point is they should know.

Anyway it will be interesting to see if the 160 t-stat helps any with the over heating issue.

Oh and they claim that the air coming out from the bottom grill area is just air circulating around the fan, that not all of it gets channeled by the fan shroud. ? I don't know if I believe them. If the fans are running the correct direction why would any air be moving forward, past the radiator and out the front grill?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fastest H-Town Realtor:
Ok,I will bite...what does the thermostat change have to do with the fan programs? The stat opens at a predetermined temp,usually full warm up,then the ECM shuts off the choke program(rich). So,if the stat opens at 170,and this is "closed loop",then the truck should not need the fans until the temp runs up to whatever temp the ECM has the fans programed for(200?). No heat,no fans. A seperate device from the mechanical stat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Hummer Professional

The air should not be circulating around the shroud. It should all "draw thru" the radiator, from the front grill towards the engine. You do not "push" air thru the radiator, you "suck" it thru.

I have a beer on the fact the new 'stat will not solve this prob. If it does anything, it will be problematic to cold weather driving. The fact that the engine temp is running high should be clue to the fact that it is an efficiency cooling issue.

If it were my truck, I would re-wire the fans to "draw thru" the radiator and use a 170 degree stat.

[OPINION] 160 degree is to low. It will cause ECM issues at the lower running temps. A low temp stat (160)is good for keeping fluids/engine cool while in the stage lanes of the drag strip. Once the engine is in full warm up, the engine never sees 160 degrees again.[/OPINION]

Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Hummer Deity

I can't do much about it until I get the truck back. I'll just have to see how the truck performs. Souther Nevada never gets much below 32 and I don't drive the truck every day. If the t-stat causes problems we can always put in a higher temp one. I'll just have to drive it and see what happens. From what everone has told me changing the t-stat is a quick job and reprogramming the fans to a new trun on point can be handled with a Hypertech hand held.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask about the fan blowing air forward and keep asking until I hear what I want.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

Nixxxster is off the scale

Anyone know how much is a HD 2500 fan kit. And is there a good shop in Southern California to install it.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Hummer Professional

One more idea..although simplistic...(1)Go find a HD2500 on the lot. (2)Get the fans running. (3)Which way is the air flow? (4)Fix as needed.

Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Hummer Deity

Since it is a GM product. GM Parts Guy on this forum should be able to get you a price.

Any Hummer Dealership should be able to install the fans.

However as I am finding out and as it was admitted to me by the service manager and a GM master mech, the H2 even in it's stock form has a very inefficient cooling system. Put a Super Charger on along with it's inner cooler which blocks 1/3rd of the front grill and you have a cooling issue.

Last summer here in town there were non supercharged H2's being towed into the dealership with cooling issues. This I personally witnessed. I've been on the phone with Corporate and customer service for Hummer for countless hours and they seam to think it is an isolated problem here in Nevada during the summer months. This doesn't explain why 2 1/2 weeks ago when it was in the mid 80's on my way back here from Ca and the truck over heated on one of the two 4000 foot climbs over a mt. pass. Nor does it explain why I got a "Hot Transmission" warning indication from the dash display while traveling to Big Bear Lake with an ambient air temp was in the low 60's, Big Bear is at 8,400 feet but I wasn't towing anything or racing up the mountain.

While my dealership is taking forever to do anything with my truck, mostly because they don't know what the trouble is they are covering it under warranty.

I am going to look into a different radiator, oil cooler, trans cooler and possibly a high-out water pump. I need to find a way to dissipate more heat. I agree the t-stat change probably isn't going to solve anything. I also don't believe that any one thing is causing my trouble.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Hummer Deity

has anyone dealt with Adventure Accessories which seams to be an extension of the parts department for Lynch Hummers out of St. Louis Missouri?

the photos didn't load but they can be found at http://www.h2parts.com

Complete High Performance Aluminum Intercooler and Radiator kit #TEM63605
Includes Intercooler, Aluminum Radiator, Engine oil cooler and Transmission fluid cooler. Greatly reduces intake air temperature for higher horsepower and torque.

Add to cart
Price: $ 3,995.00

Performance Aluminum Radiator #TEM63040
Pictured with complete intercooler kit.

Add to cart
Price: $ 1,549.00

I know a lot of places carry aluminum radiators. Rod Davis has been recommended but they don't have one in stock but will build one for a price of course.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Fubar, I can't get into the nerd talk. But I know it makes you feel better that they are in- and it looks shiny and pretty. Very cool that the warranty covered it also.