H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-26-2005, 10:49 PM

HummerChic is off the scale

My husband got into our H2 This evening.. The RADIO does not work.. It comes on and you can change the stations..

NO VOLUME
NO SPEAKER CONTROL
NO EQ CONTROL

Anyone got a special dance you need to do to make it work again?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:49 PM

HummerChic is off the scale

My husband got into our H2 This evening.. The RADIO does not work.. It comes on and you can change the stations..

NO VOLUME
NO SPEAKER CONTROL
NO EQ CONTROL

Anyone got a special dance you need to do to make it work again?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:02 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

What year? the 03's have an amp issue. Dont be suprised if it starts working later.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:06 PM

MP5A3 is off the scale

truck is a 04 lux with bose 6 disc system
Old 02-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It does sounds like your amp is not powering up. Take the key out, get out of your truck turn around 3 times and then get back in, put the key in and try again.

If that doesn't work, maybe wait until the morn and try it again. If again that doesn't work, you probably need to take it to the dealer. Sometimes the amp will not power up correctly if there is low voltage when you crank or turn the key. If it's cold and the truck has been sitting up, it might just be the voltage thing and letting everything power down and then trying again might do the trick.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:31 PM

MP5A3 is off the scale

sent the wife outside to try turning around 3 times and see if it would work no luck she even tried standing on one foot
Would a blown amp fuse cause this?

Thanks for any help
Old 02-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Banned

I am not sure if there is a amp dedicated fuse or not, I'll look. But yes that could be the problem. For whatever reason, it sounds like the amp is not powering up.

With the driver's side door open and the key in the ignition do you have warning chimes? Or do you have any warning chimes of any kind. Also, you can push the onstar button and if you get sound, then it is most likely a problem with the radio and NOT the amp.

Not that it will help, but my next post will be from the service manual for this issue.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Banned

Speakers Inoperative - One or More
Schematic Reference: Radio/Audio System Schematics

Preliminary Information
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Entertainment System .

Important
The following information lists the most probable cause of the concern to the least probable cause. If the list leads to the replacement of a component, always inspect for a poor connection before proceeding with replacement. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections , and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

All Speakers Inoperative

Important
The following information lists the most probable cause of the concern to the least probable cause followed by the appropriate test for that condition. If the list leads to the replacement of a component, always inspect for a poor connection before proceeding with the replacement. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

With RPO UM8
Battery positive voltage circuit to the amplifier open. Test the battery positive voltage circuit to the amplifier for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Ground circuit to the amplifier open. Test the ground circuit to the amplifier for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Speaker output from the radio shorted. Test each speaker output of the radio for a short to ground or short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
No audio output from the amplifier. Replace the amplifier. Refer to Amplifier Replacement .
One Speaker Inoperative

Important
The following information lists the most probable cause of the concern to the least probable cause. If the list leads to the replacement of a component, always inspect for a poor connection before proceeding with replacement. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Without RPO UM8
Speaker output circuit from amplifier open. Test the appropriate speaker output circuits for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Important
The radio must be programmed after replacement. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Vehicle Control Systems.

No audio output from the radio. Test for any AC voltage between the appropriate speaker output circuits at the speaker harness connector, disconnected with the radio volume adjusted to 50 percent. If AC voltage is present, replace the speaker. Refer to Speaker Replacement Reference . If no AC voltage is present, replace the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement .
No audio output from the amplifier. Test for any AC voltage between the appropriate speaker output circuits at the speaker harness connector, disconnected with the radio volume adjusted to 50 percent. If AC voltage is present, replace the speaker. Refer to Speaker Replacement Reference . If no AC voltage is present, replace the amplifier. Refer to Amplifier Replacement .
Speakers - One Channel Inoperative

Important
The following information lists the most probable cause of the concern to the least probable cause. If the list leads to the replacement of a component, always inspect for a poor connection before proceeding with replacement. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Speaker output circuit from amplifier shorted. Test the appropriate speaker output circuits for a short to ground or short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Replace the amplifier. Refer to Amplifier Replacement .
Old 02-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Banned

There is a fuse in the fuse box under the hood that says radio amp. It is next to the blinking red circle in this pic
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2005, 11:56 PM

MP5A3 is off the scale

didn't pay close attention to door chimes. but i hit the on star button to make a phone call and did't here anything but the radio did turn off. Am i suposed to here anythiing when i push that button dial tone persons voice?? never used on star before so i don't know what to here thanks for the help paragon i am going outside to check the amp fuse under the hood been procastinating due to the could weather
Old 02-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Banned

Sorry, I guess I should have made one with the circle blinking around the radio amp fuse. Maybe this will redeem my laziness.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2005, 12:08 AM

MP5A3 is off the scale

Ok Husband went out to take a look at the FUSE Box.. There was a BIRDS NEST in there!!! Guess even the birds have good taste in vehicles!!!

He is out there right now checking the fuses...
Old 02-27-2005, 12:28 AM

MP5A3 is off the scale

okay checked amp fuse was ok can an amp go bad jut like that. will have to take it to the dealer on monday to get fixed. unless any one else has ideas.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Banned

It could be a short or anything. So, yeah, they can just go bad or it could be something simple like a bad connection. Are you sure that was a bird's nest and not a rat's nest? Maybe he chewed a wire. Also, don't be surprised if you go out and start it up tomorrow and it all works fine.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:18 AM

hummerNCO is off the scale

I had that happen to my radio last December after my ’03 sat overnight in a Tahoe snowstorm. I ran the heater for a while to warm up the interior and then the radio worked fine. I thought it was just the cold. No problems since.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2005, 02:04 AM
Banned

That has to be one of the funniest pictures I have seen in a while. I mean, look where the snow piled on top of the mirror. It now looks more like a GMC Topkick Medium Duty truck rather than an H2
Old 02-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

That truck looks 10' tall.

Did you try warming up the vehicle as suggested? You don't have "location" so I don't know if that would make a difference.

On another vehicle I have a similar problem. I find if I turn the radio Off, then On it works fine.