H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

I just re-programmed my 2004 H2 with the diablo predator "Performance Tune" file.

I can only find 90 octane fuel here in Albuqueque (predator manual specifies using 91-93 octane, with the "performance tune").

Should I change the program back to the "87 octane file" or leave it as is. It runs fine and I don't hear any detonation?

Also, it still shifts down more than I would like it to during cruise control operation (75-80 mph) when cresting hills, is there anything I can do with the "modifying Parameters" function to help this?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Albuquerque, NM, 2004 H2
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

I just re-programmed my 2004 H2 with the diablo predator "Performance Tune" file.

I can only find 90 octane fuel here in Albuqueque (predator manual specifies using 91-93 octane, with the "performance tune").

Should I change the program back to the "87 octane file" or leave it as is. It runs fine and I don't hear any detonation?

Also, it still shifts down more than I would like it to during cruise control operation (75-80 mph) when cresting hills, is there anything I can do with the "modifying Parameters" function to help this?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Albuquerque, NM, 2004 H2
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Albuquerque, NM, 2004 H2
Old 10-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

I forgot to mention, my H2 also has the following mods:

-Flowmaster touring muffler
-Airaid cone filter and intake tube.

Thanks again for the help.

Jon
Old 10-12-2004, 06:12 AM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to live in Albuquerque a few years ago. Had a sportbike that only ran well on premium unleaded. I added octane booster for a while and then decided to skip it and see how it did on the 90 octane stuff with no additive. No difference. I don't know if being at over 5000 feet has anything to do with it. Some of the guys in Colorado may have some more insight into this but I believe that you will be fine. Obviously if the engine starts knocking some octane booster would be required. I have the predator program installed and have no problems. I messed around with the 87 vs 91 octane tunes and the 91 octane tune is much better. You can always go to the diablosport website and ask a question and get an answer straight from the manufacturer.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

Thanks Marcmedic,

Did you fool around with any of the "parameter" settings like "shift time" or "Upshift", "Downshift"?

I'd like to make the H2 less willing to shift down when using cruise control.

thanks,

Jon '04 Albuquerque
Old 10-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent messed with the setting ...yet. Mine doesn't shift down all that much when using the cruise control. I wonder if it's a problem that you should take it to the dealer for?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

I also want to let other users know that, before the predator unit would program, I had to remove about 5 other fuses (more than the 3 radio/onstar fuses the manual calls out).

Before the predator unit would run. With out the additional fuses removed the predator unit thought the batter voltage was two low and would not begin the "backup" and "Tune" program procedures (the unit would just error out "read error", "script error", "access denied" etc).

This was the case on two units I tried, as far as I know my h2 is accesory wise stock.

Jon
Old 10-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have used my programmer for my '03 several times, even after getting a new tune from diablosport and never pull any fuses. I have had no problems each time I have made changes.

Might be an '04 issue.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:00 PM

ChuckE is off the scale

The only reason for removing the fuses is so that you ensure that outside signals from sources like OnStar (which could, but most times not likely) receive, or possibly even send, a signal; or from accessory devices turning on which might send a spike down your wires.

Those signals coming in (or going out) MIGHT disrupt your signals going between your Predator and the H2. There is 625k (approximately 625,000) bytes of data needed to download to the H2, and that takes a few minutes. The Predator seems much faster than the other coders out there. During that down, or upload, you really want a nice clean signal.

If it took the removal of all those fuses to get a clean (not RF noisy) signal, I suspect your battery might be on its last legs, or else you have some really (RF) noisy accessories on your H2. Were you playing your radio (loudly) at the time?
Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

jebia is off the scale

ChuckE,

I took your advice about my battery being on the way out, and replaced it today with an optima red top.

Just for grins, I again tried my predator programmer. It still required that I remove the 3 radio/onstar fuses and three others (tbc/batt (interior lighting), IPC/DIC (dash lights and odometer display etc.) and SEO Ign (accessories)) before it would work.

Brian from tech service at diablosport confirmed that the 2004's draw more current from the battery during the "key on" position and this draws the battery voltage down a bit more, this prevents the predator from procceding with its backup and tune proramming.

An interesting note: when I picked up the optima battery, the service guy at pepboys showed me to the backroom and the graveyard of ac delco batteries he had be getting in of late, he said the problem with the ac delco batteries is in corrosion that builds up on the inside of the side posts, this causes the battery to fail prematurely (he said this results in low voltage and on/off cycling eventually often setting misc engine codes).

thanks,

Jon 04 Albuquerque