H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Hummer Novice

05suton22s is on a distinguished road
Default k&n intake problems

i have a 05 sut,just put a k&n intake on.i bought the biggest one with 11 more horse power?.but it seems slower and sluggesh,when i hammer it to the floor it s got desent power. but driving around its not right.it was defintly better without it . i'm confused,i thought it would be way better all around. anybody using somthing else.or have the same issue.?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: k&n intake problems

Either be patient and let ECM adjust for it, or disconnect the negative side of the battery to force reset of ECM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Check the wiring on the MAF Sensor.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Hummer Novice

okay i will check the sensor and take the negative off . it just seems that it went from a real tight crisp engine ,to sluggesh until you get it up a high revs.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes these air intakes introduce turbulence into the MAF sensor, and/or the MAF sensor can not react properly etc.

To overcome these issues, a new MAF that is designed for this purpose is required. The cost of a new MAF sensor would make the price out of most peoples budget, so most manufacturers choose not to include them. In most cases, they are not needed. They also fail to inform you of the loss in throttle response, as a result of installing one of their intakes.

Only one air intake company that I know of (Volant), actually goes the extra mile and offers their intake with an available MAF sensor that is made for their intakes.

Two other companies off a MAF for cold air intakes - Jet & Granatelli.

Installing a properly calibrated MAF should get you the throtte response back and offer an additional and minimal amount more of a top end increase than just the air intake alone.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Hummer Novice

thanx a for all the info , seing how i've only had the h2 for a week. i think i will take off the intake and go back to the oem intake. and see how much of a difference it actually makes.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

nmu98 is on a distinguished road

Also, you might want to clean you MAF with some rubbing alchohol. The oiled air cleaners can let some oil pass and get it dirty (oily) enough that it will not function properly.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

i've read on some posts on here that the non OEM filters can trash the MAF due to the oil in them.

Also, and I am no engine expert, but if you allow more air into the engine, dont you have to also allow more exhaust out of the engine? Isnt there something called backpressure and if you dont have intake and exhaust balanced it can screw up the performance of the engine?

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Hummer Novice

i'll try cleening the sensor before i take it off.that was my next question. i'm thinking of putting on a magnaflow exaust.mikegr has a good question. anybody know if this intake will screw up anything on the motor(sensors, balance). i'm not much of an expert when it comes to new motors.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

IMHO you are better off with the factory air box and filter in the long run .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

Take the K&N off and put the stock system back on. You'll avoid the oil contamination of your MAF sensor and even more important you'll get better filtration. Don't buy into the hype, stock is best in this case.

Here's a link to testing done on the same replacement filters by manufacturer:

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

I've had my Airaid system on for 40k, the throttle body is Clean! No oil, dirt or sand. Which is pretty good, considering how often I drive to the gulf to go surf fishing.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
IMHO you are better off with the factory air box and filter in the long run .

I know there is an overwhelming desire for car owners to customize and 'enhance' the performance of their rides, but I've always had a hard time believing that the aftermarket kits can have more engineering in them than OEM's with their army of high-paid engineers and main frame computers crunching the numbers. Granted, much of a vehicle's design is a compromise knowing that different people will be buying and driving the vehicle. But still, other than the cosmetic altering to taste that we all do with wheels, etc., it's got to be a pretty big deal with a proven track record for me to consider changing anything mechanical on my H2. Nowadays everything is tied together somehow inside the onboard computers and changing something can have unexpected (and costly) unplanned consequences.

Just my .02.

Carry on.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2bill
I know there is an overwhelming desire for car owners to customize and 'enhance' the performance of their rides, but I've always had a hard time believing that the aftermarket kits can have more engineering in them than OEM's with their army of high-paid engineers and main frame computers crunching the numbers. Granted, much of a vehicle's design is a compromise knowing that different people will be buying and driving the vehicle. But still, other than the cosmetic altering to taste that we all do with wheels, etc., it's got to be a pretty big deal with a proven track record for me to consider changing anything mechanical on my H2. Nowadays everything is tied together somehow inside the onboard computers and changing something can have unexpected (and costly) unplanned consequences.

Just my .02.

Carry on.

I completely agree!!! haha

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Building a motor for the Baja 500 and building a motor to survive beyond 100,000 miles are two completely different things.

The test don't lie but if you want to think you're doing your vehicle a favor using an inferior filter, be my guest.

Use the K&N and you can say, MORE DIRT LESS POWER
Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05suton22s
i have a 05 sut,just put a k&n intake on.i bought the biggest one with 11 more horse power?.but it seems slower and sluggesh,when i hammer it to the floor it s got desent power. but driving around its not right.it was defintly better without it . i'm confused,i thought it would be way better all around. anybody using somthing else.or have the same issue.?

Read my post here about the K&N Filter:
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...64&postcount=5
Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

Mdoyle, you have done a steller job trying to educate the ignorant,but the truely stupid will never learn .great job .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Hummer Professional

Well I could say I'm just about anything on the net and get away with it, but the fact is I'm an Engineer. Just look up a few of my post- nobody in their right mind would post boring technical crap otherwise.

I campaigned a car for three years at KCIR and have built both small and big block Chevy's along with working on a couple of Ford projects.

About the only thing I can't stand more than snake oil health cure-alls is snake oil go-fast parts, that's all.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMOYELLO
K&N FILTERS and INTAKES are a RACE & ROAD proven mod.They have been around for years and many people stand behind this product.They also do not void the factory warranty on any vehicle that uses one...I use a K&N system and am very happy what it has done for my truck......MORE AIR MORE POWER...

You're challenging the credentials of others...where are your credentials? And where's the dyno chart showing prrof of your "MORE POWER"? Mechanic or not, the only proof is in a dyno chart.

One other thing...just because some racer has a K&N sticker on his race truck doesn't mean he's using their product. Ever hear of sponsorships? As an example, in AMA Superbike racing, you can't swing a stick and not hit a bike without a K&N decal on it. Want to know what kind of filter the top guys run in AMA Superbike? Uh, none, they don't use filters.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMOYELLO
No one is challenging anybody but U...AMA SUPERBIKES do not use filters because????????BECAUSE MORE AIR MORE POWER......HEY TXSUT THANKS FOR HELPING ME GETTING GET MY POINT ACROSS.......

Asking someone if they are a mechanic is challenging their credentials in my book.

Where did I say flowing more air cannot equate to more power?

And yes, I am challenging you to back up your claims of more power. Surely, you don't expect everyone to just bow down and believe you just because you say it...and because you see a lot of decals on race vehicles.