H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

gmonroe is on a distinguished road
Default Cooling Fan Removal

Ok, so I am going to attempt my electric fan kit install tomorrow and I wanted to cover all of my bases before I tear into it. Do I need anything special to get the mechanical fan off? Everything else seems pretty straight forward, so I don't see any other problems. Feel free to give me ideas.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Cooling Fan Removal

anyone? bueller?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale

Well can't give you any insight but wish you luck. Tell us how you made out. I have an 05 I want to switch over to electric fans.

Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Get a real large cresent or opened wrench. Place tool on big nut just between fan and pulley. Then take a great big hammer and hit wrench in opposite direction of the way fan turns as nut is reversed threaded so it will always be tightening itself on. The nut does not take a huge pop really, especially if factory placed lube or antisieze on the threads that are on the pulley which is made to the water pump shaft. Just a good firm pop and fan should jump loose.

If not clear ask Hummer service or leave me a follow up question.

Are you staying with factory RAD if so you will most likely have to cut metal tranny lines into so you can use rubber lines to splice back together to allow room to move things around to fit.

Depending on what fan setup you went with can determine what all you need to do the job. I used the same electric fan setup that is used on 2500/3500 series GMC trucks.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the heads up TAZ. I tried it a week or so ago and the bastard wouldnt budge. I read something about guys using an air chisel or something if it was stuck on. I in a holding pattern right now until I figure this out.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Be sure you are loosening in opposite rotation. On my 99 Silverado I had a stuck fan. I got a large chisel with large hammer so I could get a very clean start on the edge of nut. You do not want to crush nut threads onto the pulley threads. So finese is much more important than brawn. Once you have nut off be sure to lube well if you ever need to put mechanical fan back on. I carry my mechanical as you never know when electrical problems can arise. I have reused my mechanical on the Silverado before.

Oh also you can use some heat on fan nut just do not heat so much you swell the pulley threads creatin a tighter fit.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

iccon is on a distinguished road

Don't waste your time, I replaced my fan with dual electric fans and there was no fuel savings plus the truck over heated once and once was enough for me, cant pull a trailer with the truck over heating.
Cheers
Good luck hope it works.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Hummer Authority

I have helped many make the change to electric as I have and never heard a complaint. I and others I helped used the 2500 HD truck series GM fans and not other aftermarket brands. Do not know if that could be an issue.

I made my change for HP/torque increase plus just cooled allot better with supercharger and other add ons.

It may not work for all but, just never heard any complaints with factory dual electric. I recommend it but, you for sure need to be sure it is what you need or want as it is not cheap to do.

TAZ
Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonroe
Ok, so I am going to attempt my electric fan kit install tomorrow and I wanted to cover all of my bases before I tear into it. Do I need anything special to get the mechanical fan off? Everything else seems pretty straight forward, so I don't see any other problems. Feel free to give me ideas.

So how did you make out with the fan removal and the electric fan installation? Let us know how it went.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Hummer Professional

Metallic Red is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Which fan kit did you get?
How much?
Where?

Sorry for all the questions

HCMI Member 50043
Old 09-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

I still haven't gotten my factory fan off. It's a mofo and really pissing me off. So I am going to wire it all up and have it setup to take to a shop to just connect the wires and install the fan assembly. I will keep everyone updated of course.

The fan kit I got was the flexalite kit with the dual fans and everything. (Most Hummer aftermarket sites have em) The price was around $500 give or take $50. I am going to wire it up all this time with the thermostat it comes with and put a kill switch for any reason I would ever get into water or something crazy.

As far as the above post saying "Don't waste my time", well sir, to each his own.

I know its crazy but it can't hurt. I don't tow anything bigger than my moomba outback so it's going to be fine.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
I still haven't gotten my factory fan off. It's a mofo and really pissing me off. So I am going to wire it all up and have it setup to take to a shop to just connect the wires and install the fan assembly. I will keep everyone updated of course.

The fan kit I got was the flexalite kit with the dual fans and everything. (Most Hummer aftermarket sites have em) The price was around $500 give or take $50. I am going to wire it up all this time with the thermostat it comes with and put a kill switch for any reason I would ever get into water or something crazy.

As far as the above post saying "Don't waste my time", well sir, to each his own.

I know its crazy but it can't hurt. I don't tow anything bigger than my moomba outback so it's going to be fine.

They make a fan clutch wrench , you can rent at local auto parts stores
once you get that wrench in place on the nut, give it wack with a hammer!
(with the belt on of course) If that doesn't work, you can nudge it loose with an air hammer on the edge of the nut, but only if your comfortable doing that. Or you can bring a case of BEER to my house and I'll take off for you! Almost forgot to mention counter clockwise on that nut.

HCMI Member 50043

Last edited by Metallic Red : 09-16-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

LOL, thanks for the offer. I keep hearing the air chisel but I sold all my shop stuff when I closed and I have beat the crap out of it. I am just tired of messing with it. I'll try again, but not today or tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Hummer Professional

Good luck!!

HCMI Member 50043
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

TRUBRIT is on a distinguished road

Seeing as we are on the subject. Here is the info on the most popular equipment to install. 2500 HD Fan kit - Flexlite
listed as chevrolet parts:
shroud: GM 89023365
motor: GM 89023368 [need 2]
ACD 15-80551
Blade: GM 89023366 [need 2]
ACD 15-80682
if you need the connector: GM 88987983 [need 2]
ACD # PT1767
$481 with shipping
Nelson Performance wiring harness $100 w/shippin
Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale

Will this new fan setup be controlled through the trucks computer ? I know when I use my Diablo tuner there are options for turning this on and adjusting temps I think. I also seem to remember reading that there is a wire for this hookup somewhere in the wiring harness. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Hummer Professional

HCMI Member 50043
Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Hummer Authority

The factory electric fan setup is the only way to go. Once wired in you can control fan on/off temp with computer.

I wish I could divulge the low cost the factory parts can be gotten for if you have connections. Price is way less than mentioned here although the Nelson harness will cost the same. The 2500HD fan parts can be purchased individually and will all be true GM parts. Just think about people you know or maybe you have a good relation with dealer parts guy.

You would be so much happier with the same unit that is used on the Escalade.

Good Luck

TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT
Seeing as we are on the subject. Here is the info on the most popular equipment to install. 2500 HD Fan kit - Flexlite
listed as chevrolet parts:
shroud: GM 89023365
motor: GM 89023368 [need 2]
ACD 15-80551
Blade: GM 89023366 [need 2]
ACD 15-80682
if you need the connector: GM 88987983 [need 2]
ACD # PT1767
$481 with shipping
Nelson Performance wiring harness $100 w/shippin