H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale
Default Burning Trans fluid

I boughht my H2 used last May. Last oil change(which was my first with this H2.) i was down a quart of Trans fluid. Its been about 2k miles since, I checked it today and was down about 3/4 of a quart. There are no signs of a leak and the truck is running great. Is this normal? Seems a bit excessive to me. Can any damage be done being down that much? The manual says the Trans has a capacity of 2 quarts, so I'm loseing just about half over 2k miles?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: Burning Trans fluid

Get to a tranny shop ASAP!!!! There is nothing good about losing fluid. It is going someplace. Unlike an engine no combustion chamber to burn likes of engine oil thus owning a smoker.

You may be one of most common problems is that you have tranny fluid leaking into the engine radiator. This is possibly based on your decsription the problem you having. Do not operate the rig till you get this figured out. If you are losing tranny fluid hopefully you are not getting radiator water into tranny which is big damage. Please just do not do nothing and please do not operate your rig till this is sorted out.

Guys we could go into this till we felt like if we heard another word we would go insane.

Everyone and please I'm preaching to me the choir also Please if your ride is consuming certain extremely estintial fluids get to a good reputable shop unless it is warranried work and they will send a wrecker from dealer to get you. Use warranty if you have it or AAA whatever.

We have to much time and some to much money in our Hummers to risk damage that could be cheaply preventable.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Rick is probably right on the money about trans fluid in the radiator. The radiators have plastic tanks and the fittings that go into the tanks are notorious for coming loose.

My Yukon did it, my H2 did it. That will probably be my next mod... an updated aluminum radiator.

If you check it out and don't see any signs of trans fluid in the radiator, depending on your miles, I'd get the fluid changed and then keep careful tabs on it. You may have misread it because it's gotta go somewhere.

Let us know.

Mark
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Hummer Novice

Flesh is on a distinguished road

Im not sure if that was a typo about the 2 qts, or you were looking up transfer case levels? The trans itself should hold around 12 qts. bone dry. Transmissions wont burn the fluid like an engine so you have to be leaking fluid somewhere or just not checking it properly.
Like the other guy said, it could be leaking into your radiator. Sometimes trannys will even leak into the transfercase but I haven't seen it too much with the later model gm's.
I would drive it around for about 15-20 minutes and check the level like that. Make sure you check it in park and the fluid level is in the crosshatch.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Dropped off the truck today at the dealership. They checked all levels, and checked to see if there were any fluids mixing like you guys said in the trandfer case and in the radiator. Removed the skid plate and checked everything out. They check the rear seal into the tranfer case as well. No leakage was found. I'll keep my eye on it. I'm about to turn 23k miles so at the next oil change I'll do a Trans service and go from there. Maybe I didnt check it when it was hot enough?? I dont know. Thanks for the input and advice.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

finbox is an unknown quantity at this point

you did check it while it was running right?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbox
you did check it while it was running right?

Yup, and it read bearly on the cold mark. Added 3/4 of a quart while it was still running and brought it up to the middle of the hatch marks on "hot".
Old 02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

Trans fluid fluctuates quite a bit depending on temp. If it's warm and you are in the hash marks on the dipstick, you're fine. As long as it's not burnt and smelly, you're okay.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

Instal a external trans cooler B4 it's too late .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsq99f4
Trans fluid fluctuates quite a bit depending on temp. If it's warm and you are in the hash marks on the dipstick, you're fine. As long as it's not burnt and smelly, you're okay.
Check trans fluid level when at operating temperature for consistancy of the check! and an additional external oil cooler would certainly help depending on the climate where you live.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

LEcustoms is off the scale

Also not to sound like a jerk but make sure your on somewhat level ground.

03 White H2
12 HID lights, factory lightbar, custom light bar for brush guard, OEM luggage rack, k&n intake, Gran MAF, 37" Toyo M/T's, 17x12 weld racing wheels, predator programer, Dynomax 4" catback exhaust,
02 10th Anniversary H1 #44 Will be missed
94 Custom pearl white H1(work in progress)
Too many mods to list
06 kawasaki stx-15f
02 yamaha superjet
02 polaris scrambler 500