H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Hummer Expert

Badace is on a distinguished road
Default Drop Hitch or... and did you know about Roushdemon

I am trying to figure out the best way to trailer with the spare tire carrier. I have a nice offroad basket I like to put on but the spare gets in the way. Also on my little pond boat trailer, no fitty withour a drop hitch. Kind of a pain. My options are to get a gobi and mount the spare on top, ride with no spare, or get a drop but that does not help my basket situation in the woods. Is there something that would relocate the spare up 2-4"

Also,
Roushdemon is caught up in that TN flooding. his home had 10' of water in it. Just letting you know. Keep a good thought.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Drop Hitch or... and did you know about Roushdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badace
I am trying to figure out the best way to trailer with the spare tire carrier. I have a nice offroad basket I like to put on but the spare gets in the way. Also on my little pond boat trailer, no fitty withour a drop hitch. Kind of a pain. My options are to get a gobi and mount the spare on top, ride with no spare, or get a drop but that does not help my basket situation in the woods. Is there something that would relocate the spare up 2-4"

Also,
Roushdemon is caught up in that TN flooding. his home had 10' of water in it. Just letting you know. Keep a good thought.

ya i talked to him yesterday. his whole basement and studio was under water. thank god he has flood insurance. a lot of people here didnt and lost their whole house. i was caught in it all too and couldnt get to my house for 3 days. just got home early today. i volunteered today and it was crazy to see what all has happened. thousands of people have lost their homes for good

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Sad circumstances, I have seen the devestation on the news. best of luck to you guys!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Hummer Professional

kalantar is off the scale

I was facing the same dillema towing with my toy hauler. A gobi roof on the rack will make the h2 difficult to go into most parking structures ( with the 37's ) and I didnt want to spend another 1k for the rack. I used to leave the spare in the rear trunk of the h2 but it took up too much valuable space. Since I tow probably once every 2 weeks, I decided to simply leave the rear spare tire carrier on the h2 and each time I need to tow remove it and put it in the toy hauler. It seemed like a PIA, but it only take me 5 minutes to remove the spare and to put it back on by myself.

Also, I have a similar basket as well. I decided to mount that to the front winch mount on my h2 when I need the extra space for storing a few coolers or such. You can drill an additional hole in the basket or simply just strap it on if it isnt too heavy. Make sure it isnt too much stuff on the front basket or that it doesnt sit to high, you dont want to block the air flow into the engine.

You can also use an extension only if your tounge weight is 1/2 your capacity.

Best of luck..
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on my second H2 with and have put over 60K miles on them while driving without a spare.... and when I had my lifted Yukon, I put 120K miles on it without a spare.

If you have bigger (read aftermarket) tires, they are usually pretty stout. The few times I did get a screw or whatever I got in them, I just used a plug kit.

I'm not telling you to drive without a spare but I have and never had a problem. (hell, even my mini doesn't have a spare)

Keep a plug kit with ya.

Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road

We do the same with the 20 inch Toyo's and we are going on 3 years with out a spare.
We have had 2 screws in the block part of the treads and have not had a flat (yet)I would say to take a chance and good luck to you.~Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
I'm on my second H2 with and have put over 60K miles on them while driving without a spare.... and when I had my lifted Yukon, I put 120K miles on it without a spare.

If you have bigger (read aftermarket) tires, they are usually pretty stout. The few times I did get a screw or whatever I got in them, I just used a plug kit.

I'm not telling you to drive without a spare but I have and never had a problem. (hell, even my mini doesn't have a spare)

Keep a plug kit with ya.

Mark
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about Roush and hope things go well for him. My Hummer and I participated in the Clarksville, MO clean up after some homes had over 9 ft of water in them after the levy broke. Many were historic homes and I was suprised to see interior walls in those 1800s homes made of brick and plastered or paneled over - no wonder they were so sturdy and still stand today.
The tires on the H2 are pretty substantial. I've driven over lots of bad stuff with no problems and most aftermarket or even thicker. Crush, I don't think BMW believes in spares, my M5 doesn't have a spare either, but you and subsequent owners get lifetime roadside tire service. I still have the 24 hour Hummer roadside assistance on mine, but not sure how that would help in the boonies.