H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-23-2003, 02:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

OLE YLLR is an unknown quantity at this point

Burned Vehicles

POSTED: 11:47 a.m. PDT August 22, 2003
UPDATED: 12:30 p.m. PDT August 22, 2003

WEST COVINA, Calif. -- Apparent arson fires destroyed or damaged dozens of Hummers and other sports utility vehicles early Friday at a car dealership vandalized by anti-pollution graffiti, and similar slogans were found spray-painted on SUVs at three other dealerships in neighboring cities.

The press office of the radical Earth Liberation Front issued an unsigned e-mail calling the incidents "ELF actions" but adding that it had received no communication from the persons responsible. The ELF claimed responsibility earlier this month for burning down a San Diego apartment construction site.

The FBI was investigating the dealership fire as domestic terrorism, West Covina Police Chief Frank Wills said.

Investigators found slogans such as "SUVs suck," "I (heart) pollution" and "Fat, Lazy Americans" spray-painted on several Hummers at the dealership. The initials "ELF" were also found.

"With all the evidence that you're already seeing on the vehicle, it's highly likely it's an arson fire," said Rick Genovese, the assistant fire chief and fire marshal.

The 5 a.m. blazes caused more than $1 million worth of damage at Clippinger Chevrolet in the eastern Los Angeles County suburb. About 20 vehicles, mostly Hummers, were destroyed and more than 20 others were badly damaged, Genovese said. A warehouse also burned.

SUVs at dealerships in Arcadia, Duarte and Monrovia were also vandalized, though there were no other fires.

The ELF has claimed responsibility for a slew of arson attacks against commercial entities that members say threaten or damage the environment. It is suspected in a $50 million arson Aug. 1 fire that destroyed a five-story housing complex under construction in San Diego's fast-growing northern edge.

In an e-mail sent Monday to reporters, ELF's news office said it appeared that San Diego-area fire was targeting "rampant urban development," but said it had not been in contact with the persons responsible. No one was injured in the fire.

The group has also taken responsibility for vandalizing sport utility vehicles at dealerships in Santa Cruz and Erie, Pa.

Hummer-maker General Motors denounced Friday's destruction.

"We are thankful that nobody was hurt," said GM spokesman Brian Akre. "This was a reprehensible criminal act and is under investigation by federal authorities. We will not speculate on who may be responsible; we need to let the investigators do their job. If this was some kind of misguided attempt to make a political statement, those responsible should know that committing arson and putting property and people in danger is not the way to gain public support for their position."

Brian Levin, an associate professor of criminal justice at California State University, San Bernardino, and an expert in domestic terrorism, said the incidents were indicative of a trend toward more violent confrontations by radical environmentalists.

"This movement is increasingly becoming more brazen, and has crossed the line, particularly in Europe, toward physical violence," Levin said.

The Earth Liberation Front operates as a sort of headless umbrella group, Levin said, encouraging individuals to commit acts of "liberation" and credit them to ELF.

Genovese said whoever set the fire may have been trying to protest vehicles that pollute the air because of their poor fuel economy. But he said their approach was misguided.

"There's a lot more pollutants from the fire than the vehicles would pollute during their lifetime," he said. "There's hundreds of tons of pollutants that were spilled off."

Bernie Schonder, 40, of Covina, has worked for the West Covina dealership for 12 years.

"It's pretty messed up for the little guy that has to make a living," Schonder said. "It's my livelihood. Definitely, it's not
Old 08-23-2003, 02:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Burned Vehicles

POSTED: 11:47 a.m. PDT August 22, 2003
UPDATED: 12:30 p.m. PDT August 22, 2003

WEST COVINA, Calif. -- Apparent arson fires destroyed or damaged dozens of Hummers and other sports utility vehicles early Friday at a car dealership vandalized by anti-pollution graffiti, and similar slogans were found spray-painted on SUVs at three other dealerships in neighboring cities.

The press office of the radical Earth Liberation Front issued an unsigned e-mail calling the incidents "ELF actions" but adding that it had received no communication from the persons responsible. The ELF claimed responsibility earlier this month for burning down a San Diego apartment construction site.

The FBI was investigating the dealership fire as domestic terrorism, West Covina Police Chief Frank Wills said.

Investigators found slogans such as "SUVs suck," "I (heart) pollution" and "Fat, Lazy Americans" spray-painted on several Hummers at the dealership. The initials "ELF" were also found.

"With all the evidence that you're already seeing on the vehicle, it's highly likely it's an arson fire," said Rick Genovese, the assistant fire chief and fire marshal.

The 5 a.m. blazes caused more than $1 million worth of damage at Clippinger Chevrolet in the eastern Los Angeles County suburb. About 20 vehicles, mostly Hummers, were destroyed and more than 20 others were badly damaged, Genovese said. A warehouse also burned.

SUVs at dealerships in Arcadia, Duarte and Monrovia were also vandalized, though there were no other fires.

The ELF has claimed responsibility for a slew of arson attacks against commercial entities that members say threaten or damage the environment. It is suspected in a $50 million arson Aug. 1 fire that destroyed a five-story housing complex under construction in San Diego's fast-growing northern edge.

In an e-mail sent Monday to reporters, ELF's news office said it appeared that San Diego-area fire was targeting "rampant urban development," but said it had not been in contact with the persons responsible. No one was injured in the fire.

The group has also taken responsibility for vandalizing sport utility vehicles at dealerships in Santa Cruz and Erie, Pa.

Hummer-maker General Motors denounced Friday's destruction.

"We are thankful that nobody was hurt," said GM spokesman Brian Akre. "This was a reprehensible criminal act and is under investigation by federal authorities. We will not speculate on who may be responsible; we need to let the investigators do their job. If this was some kind of misguided attempt to make a political statement, those responsible should know that committing arson and putting property and people in danger is not the way to gain public support for their position."

Brian Levin, an associate professor of criminal justice at California State University, San Bernardino, and an expert in domestic terrorism, said the incidents were indicative of a trend toward more violent confrontations by radical environmentalists.

"This movement is increasingly becoming more brazen, and has crossed the line, particularly in Europe, toward physical violence," Levin said.

The Earth Liberation Front operates as a sort of headless umbrella group, Levin said, encouraging individuals to commit acts of "liberation" and credit them to ELF.

Genovese said whoever set the fire may have been trying to protest vehicles that pollute the air because of their poor fuel economy. But he said their approach was misguided.

"There's a lot more pollutants from the fire than the vehicles would pollute during their lifetime," he said. "There's hundreds of tons of pollutants that were spilled off."

Bernie Schonder, 40, of Covina, has worked for the West Covina dealership for 12 years.

"It's pretty messed up for the little guy that has to make a living," Schonder said. "It's my livelihood. Definitely, it's not
Old 08-23-2003, 02:39 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey Manny...

Do you suppose it would be fun and/or interesting to stage a mourning ceremony for the tragic lose of Hummers in that lot?

We're all pretty darn local to the site. I could email the whole group and I'm sure we'd get a turn-out. We could all put small candles, momentos, pictures of H2's and do-it-up all vigil-stlye???

If I put the word out...I bet we'd get a bunch of us showing up. We could do some on-site BBQ and hang-out a bit. I bet the news media would cover the event and it would be a funny Californian thing to do. Most importantly...it would infuriate the Eco-terrorist and show some sense of humor on our part.

Either this is a really great idea....or stupid. What say you. What say the forum for that matter? We'd have to act fast, say tomorrow night?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I talked to a few guys and it looks good. We are going to hold a counter-demonstration of sorts. We plan to show up in large numbers/force in order to achieve the following:

We will be there to show support for our local Hummer Dealership. While we are presenting a mourning-like ceremony (candles, flowers, pictures, etc)....there is obviously no loss of life and we are sorta doing that in jest and in a casual way of laughing about it and showing ELF that their ploy did not work.

Our message is simple: Whether it's the Al-Quada or the Environmental Liberation Front...we will demonstrate that our way of life will NOT be compromised or deterred through the means of intimidation or terrorism. While they (ELF) are entitled to a voice, their means and methods will not work.

We'll do it on Sunday, about mid-day. I'm going to confirm with the dealership that it's okay first.

I can not see any negatives. It's terrorism and we're there to support our dealership and register our response!
Old 08-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

August 22nd, 2003....a day that will forever live in infamy.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:04 AM

3D Guy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Mundy:
Steve

You can count me in. My H2 is three weeks old and I live 15 minute away from the dealership. This will be my first So Cal Hummer event and sad way to start it off. Most of my staff came to me this morning thinking that it was the dealership where I bough my hummer, but I got it from Ontario.

I'm a big believer in people have the right to there own opinion, but I drew the line when they imposing it on me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod
Old 08-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

IT HAS BEGUN......

I've already sent an email to my whole group: 147 members of the Southern California Hummer Owners Group are being notified and already I have confirmations coming in strong.

We run events to raise money for charities, we work with the forest service to help preserve trails and the environment.....we are not going to sit idle and watch this happen. We're taking a stand against our own internal terrorism and going to show support for our local dealership.

It's time to tell ELF to suck it!!!!

I'll have confirmation from the dealership by tomorrow and confirm this counter-protest. I'm moving this to a new thread!
Old 08-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

SOUNDS GOOD!!!! LET ELF KNOW THEY SUCK AND ARE ACTUALLY CAUSING MORE HARM TO THE ENVIRONMENT BY THERE ARSONS. FBI RELEASED VIDEO ON TWO OF THE IDIOTS TAGGING OTHER SUVS, OFFERING A TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR REWARD FOR INFO ON THERE ARREST. I'LL CONTACT YOU BY E-MAIL FOR SUNDAY, IT'S A HAUL FOR ME BUT HELL THAT'S NEVER STOPPED ME BEFORE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw it on the news. Cowardly.

BE CAREFUL GUYS! Have fun and there are alot of us that wish we can join you there!
Watch out for the elves and trolls! Dennis

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-23-2003, 02:49 PM

3D Guy is off the scale

Steve

Has anybody contacted the media on this ?
It would also be intrusting to get Arnold Schwarzenegger out to this event, but with him running for Governor it's probably to hot of a topic at this time..... (no pun intended)

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod
Old 08-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are nuts! I love it.

Adam P. Smith
Mortgage Pros, Inc.
303-407-2405 p
303-407-2414 f
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 08-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
You guys are nuts! I love it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comes with the geography Adam!!!

Things are progressing nicely. If the world-senate doesn't meet our demands we'll fire the laser, melt the polar snow-caps and destroy the Pacific Rim....muahahahaaa. Wait...wrong plan, strike that!

Okay. Yes, one of our guys works with the press and has already notified ABS, CBS, NBC, Fox and several other large media organizations: media coverage is totally cinched and assured.

I've been trying to get in touch with the dealership but things are crazy over there. The one man I spoke to told me it's a great idea, they love it and to call back at 2pm to get the word from their big-man over there.

HeeHaw has already scoped the area and secured the BBQ rights. The plan is coming together nicely. I've also got several confirms from group members to show up.

I doubt they'll be a counter-demonstration or representation from ELF...but if they do shows up, I bet the guy who keyed my H2 will be amoungst them and I'm still grinding for some payback!!!

A little mental instability can be a good thing!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 12:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

These are the kind of dip****s that will show up and video tape all you guys.

So everyone check your emotions and watch your temper! These elves will do that to get a rise from you. BE CAREFUL AND HAVE FUN!

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-24-2003, 02:59 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey Dennis...

I'll keep an eye out for a ELF walking with a limp!!!!

which foot would he be favoring?

Things are really coming together. About the only thing this thread really needs is....say....a really really really cool picture of an H2. Perhaps something like an H2 coming up a steep & muddy bank and coming right towards the camera. You know...like a trophy shot. Oh I do wonder where such a great fabulous picture of that sort could be found????????????