H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-09-2003, 01:16 AM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone else seen the Garmin Ique 3600 yet? It should be shipping soon and looks like a great GPS option. I have been debating whether or not to get an in car system for quite a while, but not sure that I want to spend quite that much on a system that is not quite a perfected technology yet. The ique looks great because it is also a pda which gives it a good size screen and additional capabilities. It also can come with you if you hike. Here's a link in case your interested.Garmin iQue 3600
Old 07-09-2003, 01:16 AM
Hummer Guru

Has anyone else seen the Garmin Ique 3600 yet? It should be shipping soon and looks like a great GPS option. I have been debating whether or not to get an in car system for quite a while, but not sure that I want to spend quite that much on a system that is not quite a perfected technology yet. The ique looks great because it is also a pda which gives it a good size screen and additional capabilities. It also can come with you if you hike. Here's a link in case your interested.Garmin iQue 3600
Old 07-09-2003, 01:21 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Bklynh2, I researched the Garmins extensively. I was originally interested in the Legend series but opted for the Street Pilot III. The bottom line is if the screen is too small it will be worthless in your vehicle. It would, however, be better on the trail if that is its primary use. I know the batteries would last longer as well. So, I say decide on where you will use it more. If you plan on driving on/off road primarily get the street pilot III. If you are just using it for hiking get the Legend or Ique. Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Buckeye-
The diagonal measurement of the iQue 3600 is greater than the street pilot III. Not by much but none the less bigger. Presently it is not even available, so you may have confused it with something else. The first units are supposed to ship this week. If you think the street pilot screen is fine that's good to know, because I was afraid anything but a built in system may be too small. Both have voice commands which is fine. I think the Ique will be the easiest to download maps and routes from the computer due to the Palm interface.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:55 PM

SJ is off the scale

Since I'm also looking for a good GPS, I'll play Devil's Advocate with some positives and negatives:

+ Garmin Name Brand
+ Points of Interest Function
+ Voice Commands

+/- Interface w/ Computer via USB; Most GPS Units Offer This

- Screen is Small
- Waypoints Function is Not Described or Emphasized as With Other Units
- Dual Purpose Devices (e.g. PDA & GPS): Usually Great for Multiple Tasks, but not Particularly Strong With Any One Function.

I'm interested to see one of these up-close when they arrive in local stores. Comparing to other units can't hurt!

Thanks for sharing the information.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 07-11-2003, 04:08 PM

NCHummerman is off the scale

I have the Garmin GPS V ... and it is compact and perfect for on or off road. It is also small enough and light enough to carry in your pocket .... SJ it even knew where we were in Knoxville ....

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Old 07-11-2003, 04:42 PM

SJ is off the scale

NCHummerman:

The Garmin GPS V appears to be a great unit; it's definitely in the running.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 07-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Hummer Guru

Just to clarify my previous post the screen of the Ique 3600 is slightly larger than the street pilotIII. I too was concerned about a "dual purpose" device not being good at either. From what I have heard from dealers the Ique will not fall into that category as it was designed to be both from the ground up. I also will wait to see for real. It is somewhat large for a PDA, in this case I guess that's a good thing.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Hummer Expert

OK, I apparently misunderstood what the ique was. After a little research I guess I would only have concerns on it being too compact. What I mean by this is that the "devices" I have had with lots of technology in them in a tiny package seem to not last as long. I have an internet company and I tend to burn through the laptops about every 1.5 years but the boxes just keep going. When I say burn up I mean burn up. They get too hot because they are unable to vent and/or the electronics are packed together. I just bought a new dell to back up my vaio laptop because it's about ready to die from the heat. 3 hours of work on it and it burns my palms. This happened to my IBM laptop as well. Here's another concern; do you really want to be off-roading, bouncing around, in water, or hiking with a GPS unit that has all of your important phone numbers and contacts in it? What if you drop this thing once? It happens, I just bought a new cell phone with all the goodies, jumped out of my truck and dumped it on the black top. Some things to think about.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Hey Buckeye take it easy on those laptops man. I probably won't burn it out I don't think I'm a heavy user. It took me a long time just to get a palm because I never saw myself using it enough. Then I got filemaker mobil and was able to make database file that I could use for punchlists and stuff on the construction sites I go to and I found a justifiable use. To me mating the contact feature of the Palm with the GPS address locator make each more useful to me. I do wish they could make it waterproof, most other hanheld GPS float. Its funny on the palm message board everyone is getting grumpy about it not having bluetooth capability. For me this is no big deal, I tell them why not complain to the other pda makers that they do not have gps.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:40 AM

Hum2me is off the scale

I installed a Never Lost GPS which I used in a Hertz rent a Car and loved it. Purchased a complete kit for the Hummer and a 2nd installation kit for my other car. Saved $ and just move the Hard Drive into the docking unit of the car I am using. Installed with a custom bracket for H2. Great system, and two for a bit more then the price for one. Has all the funtions $1,300
Old 07-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Hummer Expert

blkynh2, let me know what you get. Garmin makes really nice stuff so I am sure you will be happy no matter what. If you get the ique, how will it mount to your dash? If you get it post a pic.

Good Luck.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

After reading this thread it makes me think I shouldn't get the Nav system in the 2004. With devices improving and the ability to have a portable unit to take hiking, maybe I should hold off. To those who have reserched units for a while what would you advise me?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Zazing, I like portability particularly with a gps unit. The best example I can give you is that I have a street pilot III, which resides under my second row seat until I need it. I will be heading out into the desert (maybe this weekend) and will definitely need the unit. On July 26 I am vacationing in Cape Cod so I will bring it along to get my family from the boston to the cape. From there we can get instant directions anywhere we want to go. Furthermore, I tend to get lost in my little boat so I will bring it while fishing and set my waypoints so I can get back. Garmin makes really good equipment and I have been completely satisfied with mine. I know On-star is not the same as the new nav systems they are putting in the H2 but I just have to say that I really hate on-star. It never worked for me and when I REALLY NEEDED DIRECTIONS they either sent me in the wrong direction or I lost the connection with the rep.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

But how are these handhelds with street directions. No question the value when offroad, hiking, boating, etc. but do they display streets and highways accurately, tell you when to turn, etc.?
Old 07-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Most(not all) hanhelds do not have street guiding and auto reroute. Untill recently the Street pilot series was the entry level GPS for these features. Now the Ique has it with voice comands like the SP III. The magellan Meridian Color has street maps but I am not sure if it provides street to street directions. The only problem with the iQue is that I can't get one yet. Garmin is dragging their butt getting them out so it may be another month.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I took a look on Garmin's website and am just about convinced to forgo the Nav system in the H2 and get one of these Garmin units. Using it for hiking and other stuff is key. Anyone know the strengths that either the Garmin V and the iQue have over the other? Besides size/weight? I like both units.

Amazon.com starts shipping the iQue on 7/30.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Amazon.com starts shipping the iQue on 7/30. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll believe it when I see it. The date keeps slipping. To make your purchase decision even more confusing Garmin just announced two new units the street pilot 2610and 2650. Considering that the nav system requires you to get rid of the six cd player I think the Garmins are the way to go. A week ago I knew what I wanted now I am confused again.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:53 AM

Apex IV is off the scale

BKLYNH2:

If you are considering the iQue, you should check out the Navman iCN 630. Similar (a competitor) but has a substantially larger screen (though not as large as an in-dash type unit.) Plus, it runs the much superior WinCE OS (not the PocketPC OS, though PPC 2000 and PPC 2002 are based on WinCE 3.x) Also, this unit is shipping now. I am evaluating several units now (for professional purposes, not personal) but I cannot comment on same at present. Here is a link to the Navman site:

http://www.navmanusa.com/land/icn630/index.html
also, check out their PDF file (link in upper right corner of page)

... and you may find this link helpful. It's a mini-review/comparison between the iCN 630 and the iQue 3600:

http://www.gpspassion.com/en/news/ce....htm#iCN%20630

GPS passion is a pretty good site (make sure you get to the NEW one - link in pop-up dialog when you link to www.pgspassion.com) for folks interested in PDA-type GPS units.

While I cannot get into details on the iCN 360 yet, here's a few technical reasons why I wish the iCN was due out in about 30 days rather than now. The better OS to use would have been CE.NET 4.x (which is current and much faster/efficient) and the iCN uses the Intel PXA250 CPU, which has been replaced by the PXA255 CPU. Boards based around the PXA250 are at 100 MHz while the newer board using the PXA255 are running at 200 MHz. This makes a difference when loading data (like maps!), but not so much on pure processing.

Navman's products are well received in the mobile computing field, but of course people have their favorites for a variety of reasons.

BTW, both the iQue and the iCN use NAVTECH data as their base, and neither unit really lets you rout via waypoints... a big deal for some, not-so-big for others. Your mileage may vary...

If you are considering the use of a PDA device, you may wish to look into mapopolis for your software. Absolutely the fastest rendering software out there.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
Old 07-25-2003, 02:09 AM

Apex IV is off the scale

BKLYNH2:

Forgot to mention something. I am also researching NAV units for our H2's (just traded min in after a year, and purchased four matching H2's for my company.) Like you, a week ago, I "knew what I wanted", but the more I research, the less I am satisfied... :-(

Anyway, I'll be happy to share my findings with you if you are interested. I am reluctant to ditch the (admittedly crappy) Bose system in my H2's JUST to get NAV. I don't want to give up the convenience of the steering wheel controls, plus, I use my OnStar personal calling feature several times a day. I am looking for the "sweet spot" in the price/performance ratio since I need to purchase 3 or four complete systems. Yes, I admit that I'm willing to spend more on MY unit than my employee's units - LOL.

Alpine makes a NAV-only unit which will fit in the "slot" occupied by the OnStar buttons (module behind, but re-locatable)... But - that unit is not touch-screen and reportedly is controlled mainly by a hand-held remote, which is not desirable (by me.)

Tomorrow, I'm going over to see Tim Duncan's H2 and then to a shop who is in the middle of a sound system/NAV mod on another H2. Reportedly, this shop does a lot of H2's. I believe this unit is going to have a Kenwood NAV unit. I saw it today, but they were just getting started, so by tomorrow afternoon, they should be pretty far along. Hopefully, I'll have more info then. Let me know if you want me to send you the results of my findings.