H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this has been discussed in the past but now that my lift kit and tires will be here next week, I definitely want some flares.

Though I love the wide EG flares, I refuse to drill holes in my fenders and qtrs. (Owning a bodyshop or not, I ain't drilling holes)

That leaves 3 flares to choose from.

The Stillen for 349

The E&G Classics for 715

The Street scene flares for 449.

Anyone have any opinions of any of the above. The tires will be 38-13.50's on 20's. I'd really like to cut down on the crap that sprays up the sides.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Guru

I know this has been discussed in the past but now that my lift kit and tires will be here next week, I definitely want some flares.

Though I love the wide EG flares, I refuse to drill holes in my fenders and qtrs. (Owning a bodyshop or not, I ain't drilling holes)

That leaves 3 flares to choose from.

The Stillen for 349

The E&G Classics for 715

The Street scene flares for 449.

Anyone have any opinions of any of the above. The tires will be 38-13.50's on 20's. I'd really like to cut down on the crap that sprays up the sides.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 PM

4churchill is off the scale

I have learned in general Steve Millin is over priced in everything he sells.....

I would say go E&G

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4CHURCHILL:
I have learned in general Steve Millin is over priced in everything he sells.....

I would say go E&G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say that Stillen is overpriced yet you choose the E&G's for over 700 bucks? Are they that much better at over the double the price?

Having been in the bodyshop business for over 20 years and installing about every contraption available on a vehicle, I'm here to say that charging 700 bucks for a set of polyurethane flares is ridiculous.

I thought the corvette tax on corvette parts was silly.
Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 PM

my mistake......I meant to say street scene, but I was thinking about e & G as I just ordered some grills for the STS from them....my bad!!!! for what you get the street scene are a better deal....but thats just me. Stillen seems to give you alot less quality for a little less money.....

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 10-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4CHURCHILL:
my mistake......I meant to say street scene, but I was thinking about e & G as I just ordered some grills for the STS from them....my bad!!!! for what you get the street scene are a better deal....but thats just me. Stillen seems to give you alot less quality for a little less money..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew, I was wondering...lol.

Now, one last question. Are these street scene flares Street scene flares from Car Boutique

the same as these flares?

Predator flares

I called Predator up today and they said they were made by Street scene. (just at a 120 more)

Anyone know?

Mark
Old 10-20-2005, 11:35 PM

I think they are...dont know for sure but they look like it.....

where the guys at predator nice to you? I have heard some stories of them being pretty funny, but gruff on the phone

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 10-20-2005, 11:37 PM

rodster is off the scale

Will the flares pictured give you the coverage you need with the new tires? Doesn't look like it.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:38 PM

good point rod.....orange you're going pretty wide.... be careful!

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 PM

rodster is off the scale

FWIW, I'm running 37x13.50x18 Toyo M/Ts on 18x9.5 wheels with 4.5" backspace and the wide (bolt on) flares are barely enough.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Hummer Guru

I think they are...dont know for sure but they look like it.....

where the guys at predator nice to you? I have heard some stories of them being pretty funny, but gruff on the phone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's funny you say that. The guy on the phone was really cool. Extremely funny. We were b.s'ing and laughing our azzes off. Only problem is, if they are the same flares, they're 600 bucks. I called stylinconcepts and with my bodyshop discount, I can get them for 399.

Funny or not, I'm not paying 200 bucks for his sense of humor...ROFLMAO (only my sense of humor is worth that kind of money)

Good point guys but I don't see where I really have a choice. I agree they're a little on the shy side of what would be ideal but...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm open....

Mark
Old 10-21-2005, 12:37 AM

rodster is off the scale

Seems to me the unknown variable here is, how shy will they be and are you willing to live with that?

As for the wide E&Gs, I hear you. I about crapped when I drilled the first hole. The good news is, the second was easier and after that it felt good, kind of like justified vandalism.

Thinking out loud here ... Do you know how the regular flares mount? My guess is they're held on by the existing wheel well liners' screws. Unless there's adhesive on the top edge or a flange on the back, I doubt the screws alone will do a good job of keeping the flares snug against the body. Even if they do, you'll surely get dirt between the flares and the body and end up with abrasions on your paint.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Hummer Guru

Rod,

The tops of the flares I believe are held on with two sided tape.

If the flares are a few inches wide, perhaps that'll keep the majority of splash off my truck.

Guess we'll see.

Mark
Old 10-21-2005, 01:31 AM

rodster is off the scale

Mark,

I'm sure whatever way you go it'll turn out great. One things for sure -- you'll have a great looking truck with the lift, tires, etc.

Speaking of lifts, where'd you end up getting your kit?

Rod
Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Hummer Professional

Ernie Italy is off the scale

I have installed E&G Fender flares from Trailduty without the last piece near the rear bumper...
Here in Italy the police dont need that the tires goes out of the body of the car...
Old 10-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
Mark,

I'm sure whatever way you go it'll turn out great. One things for sure -- you'll have a great looking truck with the lift, tires, etc.

Speaking of lifts, where'd you end up getting your kit?

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rod,

You'll never believe the pricing I got. I had mentioned I had a friend who for 10 years, he owned a truck shop. He's been installing lifts for years.... well now he works for one of the dealerships my shop does paint work for. I've been good to him helping out whenever he needed it.

He got me a Fabtech 6" lift, steering kit, shock kit, Mazzi Hulk 20x10's, Toyo Open country 38's and extended skid plate (he had ONE set of Toyo's left in stock, apparently they are impossible to get right now)

The entire kit including installation is 4800.00

The kit should be here Mon or Tues. Hopefully I can get it installed by the next weekend.

I'm going to order the SS flares, I'll try them... luckily, my friend is also a distributor for them and said I should be able to get them for well under the 399 I have found them for.

Now, one question. Do I leave them black or paint them the color of the truck?

Thanks for your help.

Mark

------------------------------------------------

Ernie,

I live in NC. Even though our inspections are only second to Calif., around here (too many rednecks) they don't really say anything about stuff like that. Just yesterday, I was talking to a guy with a LIFTED Ford. I'm only 5'5" but my forehead JUST touched his rocker panel. He had a set of 44 or 49 on it... it was stupidly high but I see him driving all over the place.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Truck should come out awsome.......

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 10-21-2005, 07:20 PM

rodster is off the scale

So you got:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a Fabtech 6" lift, steering kit, shock kit, Mazzi Hulk 20x10's, Toyo Open country 38's and extended skid plate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for $4800? All that for $4800!?! Man, I need friends like yours!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now, one question. Do I leave them black or paint them the color of the truck?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that depends on the color of your truck and the look you're going for. If you plan to take the truck offroad through brush, I doubt the paint will hold up. The flares take quite a beating!
Old 10-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
So you got:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a Fabtech 6" lift, steering kit, shock kit, Mazzi Hulk 20x10's, Toyo Open country 38's and extended skid plate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for $4800? All that for $4800!?! Man, I need friends like yours!

Man, don't forget... installation...lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now, one question. Do I leave them black or paint them the color of the truck?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that depends on the color of your truck and the look you're going for. If you plan to take the truck offroad through brush, I doubt the paint will hold up. The flares take quite a beating! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mind going off road but I wouldn't do alot of brush driving. Being in the bodyshop business, you tend to be more anal about the condition of your paint.

My truck is sunset orange, that's why I thought it would look good.... who knows, it may be too much.

Mark
Old 10-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Orange You may have already got Your answer but, the 2 street scenes are the same. One is painted black to match factory color and the other is supposed to be primed already but, I would as You will check them over good. You may need to do some smoothing and repriming if the shipper throws them around some.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges