H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-25-2003, 09:36 PM

TX H2 is off the scale

Last night a ice storm hit Texas. I live in Mesquite and there is about 3-4" of icy on the streets and highways. Driving conditions are very hazardous. Took the H2 out for a test drive on the ice it went everywhere with no problems. Just had to watch out for the other drivers. H2 near City Park Lake

2003 Hummer H2, Pewter, Lux Series, Off-road package, Cobra CB 75 WX ST Radio, Kenwood 733 Ham Radio, R/S Scanner, Garmin GPS 3.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2003, 09:36 PM

TX H2 is off the scale

Last night a ice storm hit Texas. I live in Mesquite and there is about 3-4" of icy on the streets and highways. Driving conditions are very hazardous. Took the H2 out for a test drive on the ice it went everywhere with no problems. Just had to watch out for the other drivers. H2 near City Park Lake

2003 Hummer H2, Pewter, Lux Series, Off-road package, Cobra CB 75 WX ST Radio, Kenwood 733 Ham Radio, R/S Scanner, Garmin GPS 3.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:46 PM

SJ is off the scale

TX H2:

Is that your CB antenna I see mounted on the back bumper or tire carrier? It may be a pole in the background - hard to tell. If it is the CB antenna, a close-up would be appreciated.

Thanks
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 02-26-2003, 03:04 AM

TX H2 is off the scale

Yes, that is a CB Antenna on the left side and a Ham Radio Antenna on the right side. The CB Antenna is about 12" above the roof and works great. The Ham Radio Antenna also works great. I was about 40 miles from our local repeater yesterday and had not problem hitting it. I also have an extra CB Antenna that is longer for road trips. I use the short one around town so it will not be hitting the carport cover. I can make close up photos if needed.
Thanks,
Gadget

Old 02-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested. Please post pics of your antenna and your radio installs.

Klaus
Old 02-26-2003, 01:04 PM

AcidNastyH2 is off the scale

I flew into Dallas Monday night from NY for business meeting on Tuesday. Entire city of Dallas was shutdown and my meeting was canceled. Hoping they will make it today.
I sure am missing my H2 right now. Having just spent a week in NH playing with it in the snow, it would be a charm to have down here right now. Could have collected all the people needed for our meeting and gotten out of town last night!!
I am amazed at the number of other SUVs and pickups that are stuck on the roads in Dallas, with them all being 2WD. Local co-worker would not join us for steaks and cigars becuase he could not go out in his Durango.
On Long Island at least all the SUVs which will never see any dirt etc. have 4wd and are useful on days like this.
Texas Red where are you?? I keep looking out into the street to see that Red H2 cruising by.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:35 PM
H2 Club DFW Chapter Founder

HummerTeam is off the scale

The Dallas area is pretty much shut down again today (Wednesday). The abudance of large sweeping overpasses is really what halts us when ice storms hit... We may see a few hours above freezing this afternoon. The funny part is we should see 57-60 degrees this weekend....

http://www.HummerTeam.com
Travis - North Texas
Old 02-26-2003, 02:07 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I was out and about on the Dallas streets a little yesterday. It was crunchy ice and the ol' H2 did quite well. After the glaze from last night, it is just plain sheet ice on the roads this morning. I attempted to go to work today but was slidin' and breakin' loose too easily. With the notice of a few key freeway closures, I just headed back home and put on some coffee.

I did notice that this morning the H2 seemd to do better on the ice in 4Hi-Lock rather than the normal mode. I wasn't getting over 30 mph -- which makes me ask, What are the limits on using 4Hi-lock? That just shifts the 4WD power distribution from 40-60 to 50-50, right?

Jim
Red H2
Old 02-26-2003, 02:42 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

In 4 hi fulltime, the center differential is open, meaning power transfer can be varied from front to rear. It has the same limitations as an open differential in an axle, meaning the wheels with the least traction get the most power.

In 4 hi locked, the center differential is locked, so power is sent 50/50 front and rear.
Only use this where there is the potential for wheelspin, as the locked center diff doesn't allow for different wheel speeds front to rear.

On dry pavement, the front wheels and rear wheels turn at different speeds as the vehicle makes turns, so you need the open center diff to allow for that. If the center diff is locked, binding will occur and tranfer case damage can result.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 02-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Explanation Mike...

One other things guys... read Tonka's thread on driving on icy conditionds. It pretty well explains how easily the drive train can get in a bind when operating with the Transfercase differential locked. I know you might have use your rig for a while on the really slipery stuff with the "T"case locked, but be on the lookout for any feeling of binding in the driving of your trucks. If you do feel any resistance or bind you will probably have to back up a short ways to shift the rig back into 4 Hi Open. Whatever you do DO NOT continue to operate in LOCK if you feel any kind of a bind, as serious damage can result to the drivetrain if you continue on with it binding.

Hope I made this clear enough to understand.

Don
Old 03-01-2003, 04:12 AM

Duramax Diesel for H2 is off the scale

What are were gonna do in Dallas with the High Five interchange, if we get another ice storm like we did on tuesday and wednesday? Those interchange over-passes have got to be the highest i've seen in the area so far.