H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I need your opinion on fuel filter and fuel sysetm flush. Thanks in advance.

I took the Hummer into the dealer today for 19,000 miles oil, lub and tire rotation, all covered under service contract. The service advisor told me that my Hummer is due for replacement of fuel filter and fuel sysetm flush for $310, which is generally scheduled at 15,000 miles(my last oil change). He explained what they are and I understood, but I told them "it all makes sense, but I'll wait until next time. I have never heard of fuel filter replacement and fuel sysetm flush, let me get use to them first." Honestly I don't remember having these done on other vehicles before, that is dozen cars in 2 decades, sounds like somehthing new to me which it shouldn't be.

What do you think?
Old 11-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I need your opinion on fuel filter and fuel sysetm flush. Thanks in advance.

I took the Hummer into the dealer today for 19,000 miles oil, lub and tire rotation, all covered under service contract. The service advisor told me that my Hummer is due for replacement of fuel filter and fuel sysetm flush for $310, which is generally scheduled at 15,000 miles(my last oil change). He explained what they are and I understood, but I told them "it all makes sense, but I'll wait until next time. I have never heard of fuel filter replacement and fuel sysetm flush, let me get use to them first." Honestly I don't remember having these done on other vehicles before, that is dozen cars in 2 decades, sounds like somehthing new to me which it shouldn't be.

What do you think?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:02 PM

drouke is off the scale

I'm at 38,000 and have been in for service twice. They didn't even bring that up. I too never heard of this. sounds shady.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Never hurts to replace a fuel filter, but I've never heard of flushing the fuel system unless there is a problem. Problem like crud in the gas tank, etc. Which the filter should be catching anyway.

What's a fuel filter cost, $10 maybe? Where is that $310 going?

- Dan

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 11 months down, 7 to go!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:56 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

On a different string they discussed their H2 having issues that required cleaning the system.. A couple of others mentioned this to be an issue with the 6.0.. I do not know onw way or the other.

Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

What are they going to do? Put in a can of fuel system cleaner that you can buy off the self? Changing a fuel filter is so basic even you could do it, Mac.
Sounds like a fleecing.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:06 PM

H2HH is off the scale

Mac- You haven't had any power problems, you don't normally go off the pavement and there in California you are close to the refineries, thus a lower chance of supply chain contamination. Unless the dealer specified cleaning the throttle body or you've read in the local paper about contaminated gasoline, it sounds like BS to me.
H
Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

Don't waste your money on that. Save it for 60000 miles.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 11-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Mac, Were you wearing your ROLEX when you pulled in. We had a saying when I owned a service business - LOOK at the guys watch and his shoes - if they are worth more then $2000 dollars combined - make sure and offer some "EXTRA" preventative maintenence!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

First, you got to give me full credit for being smart enough to not to say YES to the offer, the guy said it like something systematic and normal. Obviously I got the brain to ask about it from the experts here.

2ndly, it is now obvious the $310 fuel job is BS, and a con job.

3rdly, I must've look pretty stupid this morning. Hummer Man may be right. I had my new custom made charcoal pin stripes 3 pc suit on, I think I overdressed for the occasion. Should've dress casual then come home to change before I go to work. HM, is it true what you said about watches? I better run to Sears to buy myself a Timex.

The service tech I dealt with before was busy, first time I talked to this service tech, now I have to try to figure out how to avoid this POS in the future.
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Hummer Expert

MAC, Go below the TIMEX - Get one of those $3.00 Digitals and wear jeans and a T-SHIRT that was a freebee from somewhere! The fuel filter and "FUEL SYSTEM FLUSH" should be $39.00 to $49.00. That includes a fuel injector cleaner.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:15 AM

Centerfire is off the scale

I had fuel system flushed on my 99 Sub.cost was approx.$200.00 Truthfully I think it was nothing more then a can of stuff you can buy at the local auto store. I have a friend who is the service mgr at GM dealership.. I willhave to ask him, what it is all about. Mike
Old 11-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

My dealer ship is pulling the same thing, but there price for the same service was going to run me right at $600.00 dollars.
They wanted to charge me $100,00 dollars just to lube it, what a crock of BS that is.
Yhey had a hole list of things that should be done to it, everything was price over a hundred dollars that had to be done.
I looked in my owner manual and I could not fine in there what all they wanted to do.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:25 AM
Hummer Expert

Check your shoes and watches men! I'm tellin ya!
Old 11-18-2003, 04:19 PM

czar is off the scale

what 89vette said.

My TA is just over 60k and just had that done for the first time. Yeah, it's a different vehicle but the same basic procedure.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:55 PM

2slo4now is off the scale

Here is my 2 cents

Your fuel filter will get dirty. It is it's job. How often you change it depends on many things. What kind of fuel, where do you get fuel, is it filtered at the filling pump, have you ever got gas when the tanker truck is filling the tank. The bottom line is you don't know how clean your fuel is. It is rare to plug a fuel filter in 15,000 miles but it can happen. Filtered high octane fuel is usually clean enough to only require fuel filter replacement every 30,000 miles max.

Flushing the fuel system is a joke. In fact it is boarderline fraud. Your H2 as well as every other fuel injected vehicles fuel system constantly circulates fuel thru a 4 micron sock in the tank to the pump thru the filter to the fuel injectors rails thru a pressure regulator then back to the tank. It is a constantly flushing system. The only why to flush a fuel system would be to pull the tank, dump the gas, clean the inside of the tank. This is not recommended by any manufacturer.

It is never bad to replace a fuel filter.

Dan from Alabama

ASE Master Tech
GM Certified Tech
ex-GM field service Engineer
Old 11-19-2003, 04:53 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Sort of like when you go in for a regular annual check up, the doctor says: "Well, since you are here, why don't we flush your stomach. Its good for you."
Old 11-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I bent a connecting rod on one of my pistons, so my engine had to be completely disassembled, the build up of carbon on the top of the pistons was unbelievable. I asked the mechanic why after only 18,000 miles I have such a build up, and his reply was from California fuel. The fuel has more detergents in it than any other state, and I only use Chevron Supreme with Techron.

The fuel system cleaner my dealer talked about also removed the carbon build up inside the engine. They pressurize the fuel system and run this cleaner through the engine to remove the carbon build up. They cleaned up the pistons before they put them back, but next year I will probably have this fuel service done to keep the engine clean. I will post a picture of the piston when I bring my camera to work.

03 H2 Sunset Orange Polished Magna Charger w headers & cold air intake, 37" MTRs w Weld Mountain Crushers, GPS Nav. & 2 rear LCD TVs w DVD, Extreme Tube steps
Old 11-19-2003, 03:02 PM

3D Guy is off the scale

Fuel filter yes, but flushing ....I don't know.
Did they tell you that your Johnson Bar was loose and that it need to be replaced.

.................................................. ........
That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong......... NOT!!

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod

3D Guy A.K.A. Brian Mundy

03, H2 Yellow, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, 3rd Row. Brush Gaurd and 30gb iPod
Old 11-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone ever try one of these?

http://aquatune.com/index.asp

Supposedly removes carbon & improves MPG. Any personal experiences?

- Dan

SUT on order 12/02. 11 months down, 7 to go!