H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Hummer Professional

tanklizard is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been reading test reports on the H2 and surfing around this forum and have to wonder why anyone would try and insult an H2 by calling it a Tahoe or Suburban. As far as I’m concerned they are showing their ignorance on two different counts.

1. The H2 shares many parts with the Tahoe and Suburban but it is clearly a unique animal. Calling an H2 a Tahoe is like calling a Corvette a Camaro.

2. What’s wrong with Tahoe’s? Let’s look at what State Police, County Sheriff’s and Forest Rangers drive. When they have to drive through the worst weather and roughest terrain to protect the public what vehicle do they pick? They don’t use Discos or Tacos. They used to drive Cherokees but now that Jeep quit making them they are drying up. Every once in a while they drive Ford’s but by and large they pick Tahoe’s and Suburbans. Hum, maybe they know something the “experts” don’t
Old 09-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Hummer Professional

I’ve been reading test reports on the H2 and surfing around this forum and have to wonder why anyone would try and insult an H2 by calling it a Tahoe or Suburban. As far as I’m concerned they are showing their ignorance on two different counts.

1. The H2 shares many parts with the Tahoe and Suburban but it is clearly a unique animal. Calling an H2 a Tahoe is like calling a Corvette a Camaro.

2. What’s wrong with Tahoe’s? Let’s look at what State Police, County Sheriff’s and Forest Rangers drive. When they have to drive through the worst weather and roughest terrain to protect the public what vehicle do they pick? They don’t use Discos or Tacos. They used to drive Cherokees but now that Jeep quit making them they are drying up. Every once in a while they drive Ford’s but by and large they pick Tahoe’s and Suburbans. Hum, maybe they know something the “experts” don’t
Old 09-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Tank,

Here is my favorite argument for these meatheads. The Suburban frame is arguably the most time tested and most dependable anywhere. GM has been making heavy duty trucks for a very long time so the fact that they chopped up that frame and modified it is no surprise to me. I am glad they used a HD frame that has been used on trails for heavy towing and more.

As far as the 6.0 liter engine goes I think it's awesome but don't take my opinion. The vortec was rated one of the 10 best engines for 03 (the version placed in the trailblazers) but it's the same setup (on a much bigger more powerful scale) as our rigs. GM/Chevy knows how to make an engine and of course they would pull the time tested engine from the shelf, modify it a bit for off-road use and stick it in the H2.

Using parts that are proven was a very smart decision on GM's part. I would be really concerned had they developed all new parts for the H2 and used us as guinea pigs. Fortunately we have located very few problems. One is a potentially weak tie rod that most people I have talked to agree will not break until under very extreme conditions, however, it could be beefed up. The air suspension is great but sometimes goes out. They have modified the bags for 04. I am sure there are other little things but for the most part that is it. A truly incredible machine made with time tested parts and engine that will only get better.

Make no mistake about it: THE Hummer IS THE ONLY READY TO GO OFF ROAD VEHICLE ANYWHERE. No mods are necessary and you can get most anywhere!
Old 09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

There is nothing wrong with them nor the platform they all share the GMT800. Actually the H2 is based on the 3/4 ton Suburban underpinnings. I looked under my wifes Escalade which is the same as a Tahoe/Yukon/Denali and the H2 is much beefier in the front and rear. The H2 does have a whimpy transfer case though.

In my opinion, people that say things like that are just jealous that they can't afford one. When I was signing the papers for my H2, a redneck and his queen were admiring the truck. He shouted "I'd never buy wanna deese pieces of junk. That aient nutin buda Tahoe!" I thought to myself "Buddy, I don't think you will ever have to worry about buying one!"

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 09-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette, so your from Export. I grew up in New Castle and used to live in Ligonier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When I was signing the papers for my H2, a redneck and his queen were admiring the truck. He shouted "I'd never buy wanna deese pieces of junk. That aient nutin buda Tahoe!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe he was from Fayette-Nam !

Have you ever heard the story about Fayette County and the Civil War? During the Civil War West Virginia seceded from Virginia. Shortly after the war West Virginia and Pennsylvania fought a short battle over who would own Fayette county. Pennsylvania lost and had to keep it.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

FYI -- gleaned from published technical reviews:

A long wheelbase. H2's 122.8-inch wheelbase is almost seven inches longer than a Chevy Tahoe's, while its overall 189.8-inch body length is nine inches shorter than the Tahoe's. On-road, the long wheelbase helps smooth out the ride; off-road, it helps prevent pitching in rough terrain.

The H2's rear axle is the familiar GM 12 bolt solid axle with disk brakes. The base rear suspension is a modified GMT820 5-link setup with variable-rate coil springs and 46mm monotube gas shocks. An optional interactive air spring suspension is available. On this suspension, an air compressor inflates each of the two airbags in the rear independently to raise the H2 in either an automatic, load-leveling mode or by a switch. The compressor uses the H2 20/20 rule, which means that it can pump up all of the tires 20 pounds in 20 minutes.

The front suspension is a GM 25-Series utility truck independent setup using a 36mm stabilizer bar, 46mm monotube gas shocks, and tuned torsion bars.

The H2 has a fully welded ladder-type frame, with a modular, three-piece design that incorporates a number of hydroformed components, for outstanding strength, stiffness and dimensional accuracy.

The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame. The mid-section is all new and is completely boxed. The rear section uses a modifed GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for 8000 pound gross vehicle weight. Front and rear receiver mounts with 9000 pound winch capability are integrated into the frame. The rear hitch has an estimated 7000 pound capacity.

Conclusion: Tohoe's are fine, but the H2 ain't one. Like they say, Ignorance is bliss.

Jim
Red H2