H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 AM

Maj.Drew is off the scale

OK, SO now I am pissed!!!! I had a Magnason Supercharger installed on my 2005 H2, and put about 7000 miles on it. Last week, my transmission wouldnt shift into second. Took it to my local H2 dealer who said 2nd and 4th grears are gone.

So now the good part. GM wont fix it, and wants Magnason to pay for it. So far I have been without my H2 for 10 days, and no one will fix it.

This sucks!!!! GM sucks.....

Any ideas anyone.... I have a call into Hummer customer service.

This is bull****.
\'05 H2 Adventure Desert Sand, NAV, DVD, XM, Leather, Sunroof, Airaid MIT, Airaid Filter Front and Rear Xtacy Lights, Blackend out Everything, Not one but two hard cargo carriers, Raytheon Night Vision, Magnuson Magna Charger, B&B Cat back... still wo
Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 AM

OK, SO now I am pissed!!!! I had a Magnason Supercharger installed on my 2005 H2, and put about 7000 miles on it. Last week, my transmission wouldnt shift into second. Took it to my local H2 dealer who said 2nd and 4th grears are gone.

So now the good part. GM wont fix it, and wants Magnason to pay for it. So far I have been without my H2 for 10 days, and no one will fix it.

This sucks!!!! GM sucks.....

Any ideas anyone.... I have a call into Hummer customer service.

This is bull****.
\'05 H2 Adventure Desert Sand, NAV, DVD, XM, Leather, Sunroof, Airaid MIT, Airaid Filter Front and Rear Xtacy Lights, Blackend out Everything, Not one but two hard cargo carriers, Raytheon Night Vision, Magnuson Magna Charger, B&B Cat back... still wo
Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 AM

Ok.. so here is the latest from GM customer service - THEY WILL NOT WARRANTY THE TRANSMISSON AS I HAVE INSTALLED AN AFTERMARKET SUPERCHARGER. THEY STATE THERE IS NOTHING DEFECTIVE WITH THEIR TRANSMISSION.

KENP... ANY ADVICE???
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

My first thought is Who did the install? If the dealer did it, the trans should be covered under warranty. Remember I had trouble getting Mag to pay up for a problem, too. And it was their part that failed.

If the dealer didn't do it then I'm not sure there is any help out there. I'm concerned for you on this.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Buddy, you are f***ed. Even though, in all probability at 7k miles, the supercharger is not the cause of your tranny problems, GM is under no obligation to cover this.

Suggestion: See if you can get your dealer to split the cost or provide a “manager'
s discretionary discount.” Otherwise, bite the bullet and work some O.T.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I should also note that my dealer stepped up and really worked hard for me. Maybe yours can do the same.

If you have to pay for the repair, consider taking it to a trans shop and have heavy duty parts put in. The cost will be about the same anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Again, I hope the dealer installed it for you.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Fever is off the scale

Warranty Help Hope this helps. Get your dealer to put the warranty denial in writing for your records.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maj.Drew:
Ok.. so here is the latest from GM customer service - THEY WILL NOT WARRANTY THE TRANSMISSON AS I HAVE INSTALLED AN AFTERMARKET SUPERCHARGER. THEY STATE THERE IS NOTHING DEFECTIVE WITH THEIR TRANSMISSION.

KENP... ANY ADVICE??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bull. On my first H2, the 2 & 4 also went out- and I didn't have a supercharger. Tell them to step up.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Pattern, I just had my 2nd and 4th gears go out in my 03 H2. No supercharger here!!!

Maybe you can show a pattern of transmission failures.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Well here is the latest update.... GM says no way!!!! Since I have added a supercharger they will not warranty anything drive train related. What a crock.. after all these years of working with GM as a supplier, and buying their crap.. I have to now pay for it on my own.

I spoke to Lingfelter, and they referred me to Rossler Trans in Ohio who builds all their H2 transmissions. So, what they have told me is that they rebuild the transmissions to handle the power of the superchargers.

Total cost of Rebuild $3000.00
Lets add in the labor for the dealer of lets say $700.00
incendental stuff of lets say $500.00.

DAMN GM!

After further research, http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...1/r/2691091411

I have also found that Hummer has had an existing problem with the 2-4 band going on the tranmissions that dont have a supercharger on them. Hmmmmm this is the exact same thing on my trans that went. Oh lucky GM.. they dont have to pay for another great and wonderful engineering job they have done!!!

No wonder sales are slipping.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed 2nd is slipping in mine. No SC here either. I'm sure I'm next on the list of 2-4 going out. I've just been waiting for it too happen, but hopefully it will last until after Moab. It's such a long trip it has me concerned though.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had my transmission replaced under warranty, it would stay stuck in 2nd gear. They actually replaced it with a factory rebuilt trans.(all new components, but used case. No problems since. You may wanna sk the dealer if they would be willing to sell you a rebuilt at their cost.

Sorry to hear the news, but good luck!

Ric-H2
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maj.Drew:
Well here is the latest update.... GM says no way!!!! Since I have added a supercharger they will not warranty anything drive train related. What a crock.. after all these years of working with GM as a supplier, and buying their crap.. I have to now pay for it on my own.

I spoke to Lingfelter, and they referred me to Rossler Trans in Ohio who builds all their H2 transmissions. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> So, what they have told me is that they rebuild the transmissions to handle the power of the superchargers.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <span class="ev_code_BROWN">They are telling you that GM's trannys can"t handle the supercharger.It sound to me the experts have spoken![COLOR:BROWN]Lingfelter that is.[COLOR:BROWN]If you didn't put on the charger it would be covered.Power costs ,Chargers are great but think about GM stand point.If you blew the tranny in a grand prix s/c between 3-36 it would be covered.</span>[/color][/color]

Total cost of Rebuild $3000.00
Lets add in the labor for the dealer of lets say $700.00
incendental stuff of lets say $500.00.

DAMN GM!

After further research, http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...1/r/2691091411

I have also found that Hummer has had an existing problem with the 2-4 band going on the tranmissions that dont have a supercharger on them. Hmmmmm this is the exact same thing on my trans that went. Oh lucky GM.. they dont have to pay for another great and wonderful engineering job they have done!!!

No wonder sales are slipping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-07-2005, 04:44 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Maj. Drew.... I'm not an expert on superchargers/warranty but I happened to be researching installing one. I spoke with James at Kenne Bell Supercharger & he said to check out the SEMA Act, wherein he says they cannot void a warranty on anything including transmission UNLESS they can prove the problem was caused by the supercharger. The burden of proof is on them, not you. Worth checking out. It's called the SEMA ACT.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I'm very sorry to hear of Your trouble.

I had a Buddy who blew His transfer case up by rocking from forward to reverse rapidly and the manual tells You not to do this as damage may occur. They came and got it out of the mud hauled 70 miles, put in new transfer case no charge and they did not have to by Him breaking the expressed do not do rule. This is another reason i fel i can trust My dealer. I would recommend them to anyone within reasonable distance of Little Rock, AR. The Landers Hummer seem to take a great deal of pride in the Hummer and the people who but them from them.
So far My dealer has been very nice about My plans to install SC. If I let them do it they will do it no charge as a listed sponsor on My show board. They said off the record, everyone knows how this secret could works, I could still get screwed, that they will take care of Me. I have brought them some press and I just reminded them that I can bring them some bad press also. I still have the plan to purchase a monstered up trany on My own not counting on Dealer. I figured I may as well be prepared mentaly. The Dealer knows what I'm doing and has His approved along with discussion with Ser. Manager. They both said it can be taken care of it just has to be written up properly and while milage is right it is no skin off thier noses to get Me warranty support. They even said that if i get into extended they will take care of write up and if needed they will reinstall factory intake if warranty people want to look at it before paying.
It really appears that it is with in the power of the Dealer to help if they want to. They control the info sent in on warranty so they have full control of the situation. I'm just hoping My Dealer is as good as they act. I have had no reason not to doubt them. I found My diff fluids a little below spec. and they said next week they are going to drain all fluids even pull trany pan and look everything over. Oh and when they go into rear diff.they will go back with My really nice diff. cover i got from Phil no charge sense they have to take it off to inspect rear gears. They know I'm serious about the competitions and I'm apparently the first to take it seriouly and they are doing some other installs for free. They want to be appart of the show thing and most of these decisions have been made by Ser. Manager. I guess there are good Dealers and bad just like in any business. I think the thing is I consulted them before doing anything and they appreciated it.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Maj....Got this from SEMAs website.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Law

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used(see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> There's a host of other information at their site...SEMA including how to handle this claim. You need to get armed with the best information then take-them-to-task! With the history of H2 2& 4 gear failures you have a good case.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Sorry man, but I'll be completely honest with you. I work at a Hummer dealership, and if it was my call, I would absolutely not cover it either. You've got to understand something. When you put a supercharger on your engine, you are running a lot more horsepower and torque through the transmission. When they design these vehicles, they design the trans to be able to hold up to the horsepower for the enigne they are putting in. Horsepower breaks parts. Thats an old hot rodding rule. No exception here. Now other people here are right. We have seen 2-4 band failures, but the 3-4 clutch failure is more common than that.
Picture this in your mind. You're got your foot mashed to the floor, and you're taking off fast. When that trans that goes to shift into second, you've got a drum inside that trans spinning very fast, and now you've got a flimsy band that is suppossed to come out and hold this drum, while all of this horsepower and torque is still being applied to it. I can understand why it burned up.
Once again sorry, this is just the stuff you encounter when you start modifing your vehicle like this. The transmissions in these are good trans's, but in my opinion, maybe a little light duty for the size of this truck. When you apply all that horsepower, and possibly with some hard driving. That trans will be toast. Your best bet is either drive easier with the supercharger, have your trans rebuilt by a performance shop that may be able to make it more durable, or find a way to get a 4l80e trans put in there.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Hummertech is probably correct but with some hard negotiating maybe you can reach a compromise/concession with the dealer/gm.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GM is under no obligation to cover this.

Suggestion: See if you can get your dealer to split the cost or provide a “manager's discretionary discount.” Otherwise, bite the bullet and work some O.T. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, ooh, does that make me correct too, Jonahs?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

Yeah, I hate to hear it and I am sympathetic but I have to agree with Hummertech.

I think this should be common sense. If they had voided the Warranty on your AC, thats a different story but its fairly easy to see the logic in place here.

If you add 150 horsepower and 200lbs of torque, somethings bound to give and its not due to a design flaw.